[Nfbc-info] published letter

Michael Peterson its.mike at att.net
Sat Aug 21 19:25:01 UTC 2010

        Hi Chuck.
First thanks so much for taking the time to educate your community by
challenging this ladies contentions. Your letter gives the public great
information that dispels stereotypes and prejudice.
  Sounds like although blindness is being used the real "problem" is this
lady doesn't want her aged mother to serve on juries.  I can honestly tell
you not all the courts in CA are as above board as you describe in Fresno.
When I was first ask to appear on jury duty I went to San Fernando. It was
fun I worked for DMV at the time.  In fact because of transportation issues
and time off requirements with pay it was all most like a vacation.  I  was
going to be given a DUI case I think.  Anyway when the judge had me come up
I was called in to chambers and the defense attorney used his exemplary
challenge to disqualify me and it was using the very same arguments
concerning "seeing the evidence"
 that your lady in Fresno used for her mother.
The attorney even ask me how would you know what I put up on a screen or
what exhibits I was showing.  I offered a variety ofalternative techniques
and also explained that it is his job to tailor his arguments to his
audience whatever it's composition is, Although he could have easily
disqualified me because I worked for the department of motor vehicles his
problem and it was obvious was my blindness.
If I pursued the matter it would have been impossible to prove as the
exemplary challenge requires no reason at all and neither the judge nore the
prosecutor seemed interested in giving him any flack.

I when I had my cafeteria in Van Nuys was told we'll just take you out of
the pool it's a hardship. and they did.  Again later in Van Nuys they took
me off all they did is take one look and said oh don't worry about it.
Now in Rosamond they also ask me to go to Mojave and I had no transportation
that was reliable so again I didn't serve.
In Van Nuys I would have willingly.
I suspect that the majority of blind people called to serve don't.
I also do think that some jury laws should be changed in the case of a
senior who really isn't that healthy who might sleep during the proceedings
do we really want him/her serving on a jury?
I guess he/she could get a doctor's note that would take care of the
exemption.
I had a next door neighbor who told them he had a felony just to get out of
serving.  his infraction probably 30 years prior was Fishing without a
license. He wasn't blind.
Probably if we really want blind people serving on juries as intended we
need to do a lot more to educate the legal system it's self attorneys judges
etc.
And that is a real problem when we are still fighting to get our blind legal
students to be able to get through their studies without discrimination.
I wonder if the truth were known in California what percentage of the blind
ask to serve on juries actualy do and what per centage actually don't.
I also wonder for those who didn't why were they exempted?
To bad the jury exemptions aren't "transparent"
IN Los angeles county the pool is big enough that some didn't need
exemptions because you just call in every day and your group gets excused.
That too seems weird to me for a court system that is backlogged.
Mike Peterson