[Nfbc-info] Fw: [nfb-talk] Parents Rights Legislation Passes inCalifornia

Angela Fowler fowlers at syix.com
Tue Aug 31 19:50:09 UTC 2010

This is awesome news. Blind parents, and parents with other disabilities for
that matter, now have legal backing in cases in which our custody of our
children is threatened because of our disability. Let us celebrate, but let
us not forget that no legislation can change the hearts and minds of
individuals. Let us redouble our efforts to educate social workers, hospital
employees, judges, and the greater public that blindness in itself does not
prevent a person from being able to raise a happy, successful child. On that
note I'm providing a link to a publication recently released by the NFB
blind parents' group. It was written for the benefit of social workers and
other such persons, but is a good read for everyone who is interested in the
blind parents' issue.

http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/brochures/BlindParents/ParentingW
ithoutSight.html

This was a crucial step, now let us keep moving forward.
Angela