[Nfbc-info] Free and accessible credit reports!

Jennifer Boylan jaboylan at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 17 18:12:02 UTC 2010

Dear Serena and List:

I went on the free credit report website and found it accessible for the most part.  The website warned of links or ads you might want to go to that may not be accessible with screen-readers.  You can view and read through your report on the site, printing it if wished.  The option to view the report online for 30 days is not accessible for some reason.  The CAPSIA offers an accessible page where you call an 800 number and enter a code provided to get the text for the box.  Only area in application process which was not readable was the names of the 3 companies next to the check boxes from which you are requesting the report(s).I checked the first box only and found out it was Equifax when I was transferred to their page.  On the whole, it was a refreshing read compared to some out there.

One more note.  I was listening to Clark Howard's show and he had a recommendation for those of us on a budget.  Since there are a total of 3 free credit reports available each year (1 from each of 3 companies), get a report from 1 company every 4 months to get a feel for your credit situation free and more frequently throughout the year on a set schedule.  Thought I'd share.

Jennifer