[Nfbc-info] Reflecting upon the March 4 day of action.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 21:24:19 UTC 2010

In much of the  state of california,  as well as other states across
the nation Students, teachers and  other supporters took part in a
"day of action" this past thursday.   This Day of action was aimed to
organize and educate  people to the harsh reality that state budget
cuts present to  all of those who believe that Education is not a
privelege but a right.
 In California, many schools up and down the state from K-12 up
through graduate schoolmade their voices heard and their numbers seen
in a very major way.  In the Bay area,  masses of  frustrated victums
of the budgetcuts marched in the streets and on the freeway (arrests
soon followed) to bring more attention to  their causes.  Armed with
very creative Costumes and sighns, these peaceful demonstrators
eventually made their way to San Francisco's Civic Center where a
major rally much resembling a civil rights gathering of  decades gone
by took place.  Union workers,  school board members, and even a
state senitor were present. there were  featured;  passionate student
speakers from  high schools and colleges as well as very thoughtful
performances by many gifted students and student groups.
  I  have to say that  the energy in these  rallys  was really
amazing- I couldn't help but to get goosebumps  walking through the
sea of people unified in fighiting for  the same cause.
  I honestly hope that my fellow  students found their way to   their
own demonstration no matter where you all are in this country.  If
there was a rally near you, I hope you made your voice heard, because
when these cuts take place, they effect each and every student.  It
effects our  teachers/instructors, it effects our classes, our
disabled students offices, our     rehabilitation services and other
programs we enjoy/rely upon.
  I  certainly plan to take up the cause and work along side my
sighted peers-  I have friends and family that  this effects, their
education, their jobs and  to some extent their  quality of life.
  I hope that  you  find the passion within you and organize within
your student divisions, with in your communities,  and within your
colleges and schools.
 Thank you for your time.
   Warm regards,
  Darian

--
Darian Smith
Skype: The_Blind_Truth
Windows Live: Lightningrod2010 at live.com
The National Federation of the Blind has launched a nationwide teacher
recruitment campaign to help attract energetic and passionate
individuals into the field of blindness education, and we need your
help!   To Get Involved  go to:
www.TeachBlindStudents.org