[Nfbc-info] FW: [Transition-Council] The 2011 Northern California Braille Challenge

Angela Fowler fowlers at syix.com
Wed Feb 9 23:37:40 UTC 2011

  _____

From: transition-council at googlegroups.com
[mailto:transition-council at googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard Rueda
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:46 PM
To: braille-n-teach at mlist.cde.ca.gov; Transition Council
Cc: Richard Russo
Subject: [Transition-Council] The 2011 Northern California Braille Challenge

Dear friends, there is still space for the 2011 Northern California Braille
Challenge.  To date, we have about 17 persons signed up and we would like to
extend the opportunity for avid young Braille persons from across northern
California.  We are preparing for a great event in a little over two weeks.
Details follow and you may contact Mr. Richard Russo at 415.694.7352 or via
email at: rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org.

**

The LightHouse, in collaboration with the Sacramento Society for the Blind;
the Vista Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired; and the Braille
Institute of America, is happy to announce it will be hosting the 2011
Braille Challenge, an academic contest that rewards students for their
pursuit of excellence in the field of Braille literacy. Youth from across
Northern California will be congregating at the LightHouse on February 26
for this exciting, annual contest.

Braille is an important key to literacy. It nurtures success at school and
opens doors to employment, while providing pure pleasure in the experience
of reading. Statistically, Braille literacy is known to correlate with the
employability of individuals who are blind and visually impaired. About 57%
of working-age adults in the United States who are blind and visually
impaired are under or unemployed.

But among people in the blind community who are Braille literate,
unemployment rates mirror those of the general population. It's clear that
Braille literacy is important to advancement and independence!

For those interested in participating, please complete and return the
attached 2011 Braille Challenge registration form by February 4th.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding this event.

Richard Russo
Community Services Program Assistant
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
214 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco , CA 94102
Direct: (415) 694-7352
Email: rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org
 <http://www.lighthouse-sf.org> www.lighthouse-sf.org

Challenge yourself to run, jog or walk the San Francisco Half-Marathon.
Raise funds for the LightHouse and get into fabulous shape. Hurry,
registration ends November 20th. Visit  <http://bit.ly/teamlighthouse>
http://bit.ly/teamlighthouse today!

Richard Rueda
Director of Community Services
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
214 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco , CA 94102
Direct: (415) 694-7334

Email: rueda at lighthouse-sf.org
 <http://www.lighthouse-sf.org> www.lighthouse-sf.org

 <http://www.lighthouse-sf.org/events/2011/braille-challenge.php> Graphical
braille representation reads: "LightHouse Loves Braille" Connect with us:
<http://on.fb.me/LightHouseFb> Facebook   <http://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf>
Twitter
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0
OUCY7hC1NO> LightHouse Newsletter