[Nfbc-info] Jobsite Series visits Gena Harper at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Richard Russo rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org
Fri Nov 11 22:59:09 UTC 2011

Hello Jobseekers,

Our next jobsite excursion will take place on Wednesday, November 16th.
We will be visiting Gena Harper, Senior Vice President-Wealth
Management, Senior Investment Management Consultant and a CIMA at Morgan
Stanley Smith Barney in Berkeley, California.

Gena was born with glaucoma and is totally blind in one eye and can see
very little with the other. Nevertheless, she became a financial
consultant at 22 and is one of the few blind people in the investment
industry in the United States.

Gena has served on the Glaucoma Research Foundation Board and also on
the Governor's Committee for the Employment of Disabled Persons. She is
past President of the Downtown Berkeley YMCA and is a Junior Girl Scout
troop leader for fourth and fifth graders. In 1995, Gena became the
first recipient of The Glaucoma Foundation Award of Merit. Her passions
include downhill skiing, rock climbing and tandem cycling.

Gena also sits on the LightHouse Board. She had this to say about her
decision to commit her time to this pursuit:

"I think I can make a big difference in the lives of blind people by
mentoring and setting a good example. I also would like to motivate and
inspire others to set big goals and accomplish their dreams, and to know
they can become extraordinary people in spite of having a disability of
any kind."

On the 16th, we will rendezvous at the top of the escalators at the
Downtown Berkeley BART Station at 10:15 a.m. sharp. From there we will
walk to the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney offices at 1995 University Ave #
500. Lunch will be provided following our talk with Gena. We should wrap
up by 2:00 p.m.

Since we will be on a strict schedule, please give yourself enough time
to get to the BART station by 10:15 a.m. If you find yourself running
unavoidably late, please call my cell phone at (415) 351-9534 to make
the required arrangements.

Participants are encouraged to bring their cane or other mobility tool,
as this visit is part of a larger blindness training opportunity. The
dress code is business casual.

Please RSVP by Tuesday, November 15th, as space is limited. Feel free to
contact me directly with any questions or to sign up for the visit.

This will be a wonderful opportunity for all those involved, and I am
looking forward to seeing you there.
Rich Russo

Richard Russo Community Services Program AssistantLightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired214 Van Ness AvenueSan Francisco, CA 94102Direct: (415) 694-7352Email: rrusso at lighthouse-sf.orgwww.lighthouse-sf.org

Jobsite visits will take place each Wednesday through the remainder of the year. To learn more about registering for the series, visit our Jobsite Conversation Series Webpage at: http://lighthouse-sf.org/programs/jobsite-conversation-series/

Connect with us:
http://on.fb.me/LightHouseFb
http://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0OUCY7hC1NO