[Nfbc-info] Braille for Fun! and a Youth Chill-Out @ NFBC state convention Friday 10/14

Serena Olsen olsen.serena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 01:31:58 UTC 2011

Greetings all!

Spread the word, join the fun, and pitch in where you can!  the annual
state convention of the NFB of California is just around the corner!
Early registration deadlines for both hotel and convention are this
Thursday, so surf on over to www.sixdots.org for more info and to
register if you haven't already!

On Friday, there will be two special activities to compliment the
already jam-packed agenda:

Braille for Fun!  We all know that braille is at the heart of
literacy, independence, full employment, and success for the blind,
but don't forget that it's also for fun!  Join us in the
Newark/Fremont Hilton lobby on Friday from noon-2 p.m. for drop-in
braille fun--we'll be drawing with our Perkins braillers, having slate
races, and playing games.  If you would like to help facilitate or
provide supplies for these activities (perhaps even just tucking some
braille paper in your luggage to donate or letting us borrow your
brailled game?) contact me off-list at olsen.serena at gmail.com.

There will also be a Youth Chill Out to be held after the student
meeting concurrent with the Parents Division meeting--just an
opportunity to do something other than hang out with your parents, to
connect with some of your peers & mentors, ask those questions about
blindness or the NFB that have been nagging at you, or just share some
of your favorite tunes from your media player of choice.  For more
info on the Youth Chill Out, contact Darian at dsmithnfb at gmail.com.

Convention fun begins Thursday, October 13th and is a non-stop,
action-packed ride until we part on Sunday morning.  Get registered if
you haven't already and we'll see each other in Fremont in just 2
weeks!