[Nfbc-info] Chapter Baskets for NFBC State Convention

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Aug 3 18:15:16 UTC 2012

	Hello Lisamaria.  I too was confused by the concept of low end and
high  end baskets, especially when we  started talking about classes of
bidders.  In my mind, this process is a 2-sided donation.  The chapters
donate the baskets and the bidders buy them at the auction.  What I mean by
2-sided is that because the baskets are donated to the auction, every
dollar, even if it's only one, goes to the state affiliate's treasury.
That means, in my view, there doesn't have to be a relationship between how
much a basket costs the chapter to build and how much it sells for at the
auction.  If the board felt the auction excluded too many people last year
because the baskets sold for too much money, then start the bidding at
a lower threshold this year.  Let the chapters build the baskets they want
to build and don't worry about how much the chapters spend to build them;
the chapters will donate at levels they feel comfortable.  In the case of
the East Bay chapter, it sounds like $25 is where they feel comfortable,
an, in my view, that's wonderful!
	As a bidder, I don't want to be classed as low end or high end.  And,
as chapters, I imagine their boards don't want to be told how much to
donate; only given a suggestion intended to help set the tone for the kinds
of baskets which can be expected at the auction from up and down the state.
	For the record, I don't remember the auction being particularly
exclusionary.  In fact, it seemed like there was fierce bidding for all of
the baskets, a condition which is good for the state treasury and which can
occur regardless of where the bidding starts.
	That, ladies and gents, is my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

-Brian