[Nfbc-info] Fwd: March News: Wine, Chemistry, Magnifiers and More

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:20:36 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired <lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: March News: Wine, Chemistry, Magnifiers and More
To: lmartinez217 at gmail.com

Trouble viewing this email?
You can read our newsletter online.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=jl6rvncab&v=001iPF_ovG5vaooph-PbWnLyTjT8r1rHqKyPgjo9JsacIeyPP9fN1LVKlA4hn3F7yhumFuvdnK663ZxVZYfyrRbiguD6YA1Ea8aQtBOHIAxx6f9J6r_MOMlRUuQf9jUk-MEIaf-UVW9CiacldZKSonJ0w%3D%3D
We hope you enjoy the latest edition of our newsletter. You are
receiving this email because you have been touched by the LightHouse
in some way, either by visiting our offices, donating to us,
volunteering with us, signing up on our website or attending one of
our offsite presentations. To ensure delivery of this email please add
lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org to your address book or safe senders list.
You may unsubscribe
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU9uTsjsU_146&t=001PyMk0rvzFFZDoqIs8fPdUQ%3D%3D&llr=jl6rvncab
 if you no longer wish to receive our emails.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=jl6rvncab&v=001JO9rJ3gjxX7tbtkJBUclPWWZRsRtqupMr_3qnf5P8PDEIAYzUfV92H3mFbavTCShyKl05beG9duuxlyOpCEcGOhvLC7QuqIysAZ8eMjOrs0XZkHRl133L-ZoGif45xLgwDemjUNCyJ1EgirHfJhOtv0ce_BETKaqxLOLCvDSuK9MU0FE1Y-23zQtZDDNaXClTXZUghsagPc1gcI_xrvD9GX-3m-brcHLfEflbDpFGQJLOTDoz0xCGFfT10MAuz_oPi1Ulc79qMcdE-M9cOAp5zKMQmOe6K_TV5KXyxtEZPf0sCZlcchQ58NVXPwADsTM4e7jvILRc08e2nUSiOtzAq15MMPV7k8GnIdLJ0hR24ExahqswM067OkeY2jV9YUqWe
hope you enjoy the latest edition of our newsletter. You are receiving
this email
because you have been touched by the LightHouse in some way, either by visiting
our offices, donating to us, volunteering with us, signing up on our website or
attending one of our offsite presentations. To ensure delivery of this
email please
add lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org to your address book or safe senders list. You may
unsubscribe
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0e06pSyAA-ZizfXGO2RUBXwFUVEP0Aafg%3D%3D&t=001LNPaoxiNpI6onEroGoRhXA%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&id=001b-xBWU3VMkcyEq6OqyTRxJpB_L1KrHhe&llr=jl6rvncab
if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LightHouse News logo
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs-YMNKYERzfeTeFPWGbgGL6PMbg5FD_jiMY7bJ-IHANg=]

In This Issue

 LightHouse Highlights
1. Support the LightHouse
2. 16- to 24-Year-Olds Will Learn How to
Work and Play on a Team at This Year's Transition Summit
3. High School Chemistry Camp to be Bigger
and Better than Ever - Deadline to Apply is April 5
4. Accessibility Out of the Box - A Tech
Seminar
5. Focus Groups for Blind and Visually Impaired
Clipper Card Users
6. 2012 Jobsite Series Off to a Great Start
7. Dialogue with the Director
8. Make Your Reservation for Provider's Weekend:
May 18-20
9. Don't Be Left Out - Ride for Enchanted
 Hills Camp in April
10. California Communications Access Foundation
Grant Received
11. Wine Appreciation with Sommelier Roy
Austin
12. New North Coast Health Series to Start
in April
13. Attention, Campers! Camp Sessions are
 Still Open
14. Enchanted Hills Retreat - The Perfect
 Place for Your Meeting or Event
15. Volunteer to Help Blind Neighbors Run
 Errands and Tackle Mail
16. Hands-on with "Enhanced Vision" Low Vision
Products in San Francisco and San Rafael
17. Adaptations Featured Item of the Month:
Eschenbach easyPOCKET 4x Magnifier
18. Spring 2012 Calendar (April-June)
Community Events
19. Access Advisors Open House & Disability
Arts Festival at deYoung Museum
20. CCB Spring 2012 Convention Scheduled
for April
Noteworthy News
21. Download Free Braille Books through American
Action Fund
22. Exciting Update on Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake
Disorder Studies
23. First 'Fully Accessible' TV Launched
24. Accessibility Problems with your Citibank
Account?
25. Connect with us on Facebook!
26. We Tweet Too!
27. What Our Readers Say
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

click here to donate
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFCMMAsXqL0-3QQVV8PZ11X-w_y5lu5qwzo9NdDzQ5eZACFDlqBZZkEDKEMr_3VjNbvV9RFMos9Q0OrNcL3pUtKM=]

LightHouse Highlights
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Support the LightHouse
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
-- Helen Keller, 1941
Sometimes, confidence is all one needs to take the next step. Our programs teach
 blind and low vision people practical skills. But more than that,
they help build
and reinforce confidence -
the confidence that enables us all to meet life's challenges and adventures.
We are truly grateful for your continuing support of our programs.
Please make your
tax-deductible contribution at www.lighthouse-sf.org
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U2XHvwv5xW2MNI4moyX8g1aREWPXr_vrcI=].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. 16- to 24-Year-Olds Will Learn How to Work and Play on a Team at This Year's
Transition Summit

Caption: 22-year-old John Soabas takes the public speaking plunge in
front of his
peers and LightHouse Board members at last year's Transition Summit

As part of our new Future Professionals Training Program, the
LightHouse is proud
to present Team-Building and Effective Communication, the first of
three Transition
Summits for 2012. We are really interested in finding youth between the ages of
16 to 24 who are enrolled with the Department of Rehabilitation. Please join us
at beautiful Enchanted Hills Camp for Transition Summit 2012.
This exciting three-day workshop promises to be an enriching and
educational experience
for anyone interested in learning the skills necessary for vocational, academic
and personal success. Participants will explore, discuss and engage in
a wide variety
of adventurous and interactive activities covering such topics as:
*	Team-building
*	Ways to build group cooperation
*	Effective verbal, non-verbal, written and aural communication
*	Effective problem-solving
*	Conflict resolution
*	Leadership skills
*	Strategic planning
*	Goal-setting
*	Networking
*	Time management
Transition Summit 2012 is a fun-filled event including activities such
as "Survival
Hike," Role Playing, Evening Team-Building Ropes Course, Tug-of-Wits (variation
of tug-of-war) that you won't want to miss!
When: Friday, May 4 through Sunday, May 6, 2012
Where: Enchanted Hills Camp, Napa, California
**Space is limited to 20 participants
Deadline to apply: April 15, 2012
There is no cost to apply for the summit; however, a referral and authorization
from your Department of Rehabilitation counselor must be submitted
with your application.
Read about last year's Transition Summit here:
http://conta.cc/youthandmentors2011
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsYo2g1QiemC54RxlaTA8_AhDEvf7gAFx0wcX2sJlptx3kEbcYENHbgg==]
For more information please contact John Liang, Director of Community Services,
at jliang at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:jliang at lighthouse-sf.org]or 415-694-7334.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. High School Chemistry Camp to be Bigger and Better than Ever -
Deadline to Apply
is April 5

Caption: 17-year-old Mary Church adds acid to a beaker using a pipette
during last
year's Chemistry Camp

Would you like to learn how blind people tackle the supposedly
visual-only subject
of organic chemistry successfully? Do you have a general love for
science? Do you
want to learn how you can do chemistry as a blind person just as successfully as
 your sighted peers? Do you want to apply the chemistry you learned to food such
 as olive oil? Are you interested in how blind professionals use
science in their
careers every day? Then the 2012 California Chemistry Camp is for you!
Join the LightHouse for the Blind, National Federation of the Blind of
California,
California Association of Blind Students, University of California
Davis Chemistry
Department, TPG Capital, and up to 15 blind and low vision high school students
for an educational, exciting and fun-filled weekend of science.
When: Friday, May 4 through Sunday, May 6, 2012
Where: Enchanted Hills Camp, 3410 Mount Veeder Rd., Napa, CA 94558
Who: Up to 15 blind high school students ages 14 to 18 will be
selected to participate
Cost: There is no cost to apply for the program
Application deadline has been extended to April 5, 2012.
To read more about Chemistry Camp and apply online today, visit
http://sixdots.org/2012/02/2012-chemistry-camp/
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsp6RRakdC2HoWezh5waljiaZ3e3b-y47xvw34dph-E-htslxIqGecFJUIrgZ7HhXRzC-wPlvUtco=].
Every application will be reviewed, and each applicant will be informed whether
he or she has been accepted. Travel to and from camp will be provided.
Read about last year's Chemistry Camp here:
http://conta.cc/youthandmentors2011
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsYo2g1QiemC54RxlaTA8_AhDEvf7gAFx0wcX2sJlptx3kEbcYENHbgg==]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Accessibility Out of the Box - A Tech Seminar
Certain technologies can provide intelligent and innovative solutions for people
 who are blind or visually impaired. Join the LightHouse for the Blind
and Visually
Impaired on Tuesday, April 10, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. and learn how to
access and
enjoy technologies like iTunes, iPad, iPhone and iPod. Learn from experts about
accessibility features for your iOS devices, including screen
magnification, VoiceOver,
settings for high contrast, and more.
Where: LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters
When:  Tuesday, April 10 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
This is an in-person tech seminar - our typical live streaming and phone options
 will not be available. Seating is limited so RSVP now to rsvp at lighthouse-sf.org
 [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsbTfBA7kUr3HajCEl3d0mmVm6AoFKmsJ5smy-vLHAsqE=].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Focus Groups for Blind and Visually Impaired Clipper Card Users
Do you have a Clipper Card and have you had trouble using it? If so, please join
 the LightHouse and Disability Rights Advocates for a focus group of blind users
 to talk about situations and issues such as the following:
* Difficulty finding the machines to tag your Clipper Card when riding
BART or Caltrain
* Difficulty determining if you have properly tagged your card
* Trouble using your Clipper Card on another local transit system
* Difficulty registering your Regional Transit Connection Card (RTC)
on the Clipper
Card website
You can participate in the discussion in either San Francisco or
Berkeley. To RSVP
contact Beth Berenson at bberenson at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:bberenson at lighthouse-sf.org].
Where: LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters
When: April 19: 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Where: LightHouse at the Ed Roberts Campus
3075 Adeline St., Ste. 110, Berkeley
When: May 8: 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. 2012 Jobsite Series Off to a Great Start
The Jobsite Conversation Series, a LightHouse endeavor that provides
blind jobseekers
with a real-world chance to come to know employed blind people at
their workplace,
is off to a great start in 2012. Thus far we have met with two very
successful blind
professionals, both named John.
John Hefti, Serial Entrepreneur
On February 15, we spent the afternoon with John Hefti. John is a
serial entrepreneur
who has worked in a myriad of fields such as semiconductor
technologies, computational
proteomics, life sciences research and medical devices. John has 13
patents issued
to his name, has raised over $64 million in venture capital for his
own companies
and holds degrees from Columbia, Berkeley and Stanford universities.
During our visit, John talked at length about his entrepreneurial
spirit, the custom
access software he has designed for his own use and the various
businesses he has
helped to foster throughout his career. John told us that "one of
life's greatest
joys is watching an idea grow into a business that makes a positive
impact in the
lives of others."
John Debenedetti, President and CEO of California Center for Sleep Disorders
Our second visit was on February 29, with John Debenedetti, President and CEO of
 California Center for Sleep Disorders. Since receiving an undergraduate biology
 degree from Stanford University and an MBA from The Kellogg School of
Management
at Northwestern University, John has focused exclusively on companies
specializing
in medical devices, biotechnology and healthcare services. His
business experience
includes working with cardiac testing services, pulmonary and home
medical services,
and sleep disorders testing.
John talked about what drives him to succeed and the challenges he has
faced throughout
his career. In particular, he mentioned the difficulties he has had
getting supervisors
and co-workers to provide materials to him in an accessible format. John told us
 with a chuckle that now that he is running a company, he may have
found the ultimate
solution to this issue: Folks need less reminding about providing information in
 accessible formats when he is the one signing their paychecks.
For more information about our jobsite series, please contact Richard
Russo at 415-694-7352
or via email at rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Dialogue with the Director
LightHouse CEO Bryan Bashin has established a regular time to
personally hear from
any community member about LightHouse services and opportunities for
our organization.
When: Thursday, April 12 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. (Please note that this
is a deviation
from the regularly established schedule.)
Where: LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters
These informal evenings have proven to be very useful as the LightHouse develops
 new programs and services. To reserve your place in the dialogue,
please contact
Chuck Godwin at 415-694-7348 or cgodwin at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:cgodwin at lighthouse-sf.org]by
5:00 p.m. Wednesday, April 11.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Make Your Reservation for Provider's Weekend: May 18-20
Back by popular demand! Please join LightHouse for the Blind for
Provider's Weekend,
held at our beautiful Enchanted Hills Retreat in Napa.
The purpose of this weekend is to bring together a diverse group of professional
 service providers working in the field of blindness to exchange ideas and build
 a network. You will have the opportunity to stay in a lakeside cabin, the lodge
 or one of our fully accessible cabins next to the dining hall.
When: May 18-20, 2012
Where: Enchanted Hills Retreat
In addition to discussing philosophies, trends and issues we face in
providing services
for people with visual impairments, you can enjoy the heated swimming
pool, a lake
for boating, trails for hiking and savory meals provided by a wonderful kitchen
staff. You'll learn from your peers, relax in a natural setting with
many recreational
opportunities and, most of all, YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME! For information and
reservations contact Tony Fletcher at 415-694-7319 or
afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. Don't Be Left Out - Ride for Enchanted Hills Camp in April

Caption: LightHouse Board member Gena Harper sits on tandem with her pilot

Enchanted Hills Camp needs your support. We are one of only two camps
in the western
United States serving blind, visually impaired, deaf-blind and
multi-disabled children
and adults. Enchanted Hills provides a supportive environment for campers of all
 ages to meet other people with disabilities, make friends, enjoy
nature, gain self-confidence
and develop skills for increased independence.
If the idea of a long, leisurely bike ride during what promises to be
a beautiful
day in Napa appeals to you, you can have fun and support Enchanted
Hills by participating
in this year's Cycle for Sight. Ride a 15-, 25- or 50-mile route with
2,000 other
cyclists, coordinated for our benefit by Napa Rotary. Ride solo or contact us if
 you would like to be a captain on a tandem with a blind cyclist. You
can even raise
funds for Enchanted Hills Camp by securing pledges in support of your ride.
Tandem Pilots Needed!
Interested in being the pilot on a tandem bike? Don't worry, you won't be flying
 an airplane without a license; you'll simply be sitting in the front
seat of the
bike and steering while pedaling in collaboration with a blind
"stoker" (back seat
rider) and supporting Enchanted Hills with your efforts.
Do you have a Tandem Bike?
Ride Cycle for Sight with a friend or let the LightHouse match you with a pilot
or stoker and support Enchanted Hills Camp. Contact Tony Fletcher for
more details
at 415-694-7319 or afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org].
Cycle for Sight 2012
When: Saturday, April 21, 2012 (please note start times are different
for each route)
Where: All rides begin and end at Justin Siena High School, 4026 Maher
Street. Napa,
CA 94558
For registration, routes and start times, go to www.cycle4sight.com
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U1YxyRzwyTS2ya3fTHfgvSxlsX5vycQoQs=].
Same day registration will also be available onsite Saturday morning
from 7:00 through
10:00 a.m.
Please note: Screen reader users may have difficulty with some aspects
of this new
registration site. We're working with Napa Rotary to streamline the registration
 process, but in the interim LightHouse will be happy to assist in registration.
 Please contact Andrea Ogarrio at 415-694-7365 or
aogarrio at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:aogarrio at lighthouse-sf.org]
for more information. If you are interested in participating on a
tandem bike, either
as a captain or as a stoker, contact Tony Fletcher for more details at
415-694-7319
or afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org].
Can't Ride but Still Care?
If you can't participate in Cycle for Sight, you can still support our
camp. Contribute
by going to http://lighthouse-sf.org/donate/
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs-YMNKYERzfeTeFPWGbgGL6PMbg5FD_ji_2dlzXMTCIV9dWINDXVETw==]
(be sure to click on the Special Instructions link and reference Cycle
for Sight).
Carbo-Load and Spend an Easy Weekend with Us Around the Ride
Overnight accommodations are available at Enchanted Hills Retreat,
including a "carb-loaded
dinner," mixer with fellow cyclists and supporters, and breakfast
before the ride
for $50 per person. Extend your stay on Saturday night for the same
low price. For
information and reservations contact Tony Fletcher at 414-694-7319 or
afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org]. Space is limited, so reserve now!

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. California Communications Access Foundation Grant Received
LightHouse is proud to announce that we have been awarded a generous
$50,000 grant
from the California Communications Access Foundation. With this grant
the LightHouse
will construct an Accessible Videoconference Center in its San
Francisco headquarters.
The Center will be designed to accommodate the unique disability needs of blind,
 low-vision, deaf-blind and hearing-impaired individuals.
For years we've been asked by sighted professionals, family members
and low-vision
clients if there might be a way for them to actually see our seminar
presentations.
With the help of this grant, the Center will do exactly that, allowing
a much broader
community to benefit from the technology seminars we're already
producing. The technology
will also allow the LightHouse to participate in a new video
description research
and development program funded by the U.S. Department of Education
that will enable
our constituents to have enhanced access to real-time video
description of educational
and dramatic video offerings.
We look forward to the debut of the Accessible Videoconference Center and thank
the California Communications Access Foundation for their support!

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. Wine Appreciation with Sommelier Roy Austin
Visually impaired sommelier Roy Austin will share his impressive and
extensive wine
knowledge in this series of classes. He will introduce students to the
nuances of
wine and winemaking through a perfect blend of tastings, education and
humor. Wines
produced in California will be the focus of this first series of classes.
Dates: The first meeting is on Thursday, April 12. Subsequent classes
are on Thursdays,
May 3, June 7 and July 5.
Time: 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Where: LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters
In addition to developing a deeper appreciation for the art of wine by exploring
 a wide array of vintages, regions and varietals through monthly tastings, this
class is also an opportunity for adults between the ages of 21 to 50
to mingle amongst
fellow connoisseurs.
For more information about the classes and applicable fees, contact
Brandon Young,
Community Services Coordinator, at 415-694-7372 or
byoung at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:byoung at lighthouse-sf.org],
or John Liang, Director of Community Services, at 415-694-7334 or
jliang at lighthouse-sf.org
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs_ATtdXw7i9EOkoOwTyatQ7_XkCtoKQ_8nbQuU90PS-5fZk_8tDODEw==].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. New North Coast Health Series to Start in April
Join us as Our Pathways to Health presents a series of free health and wellness
workshops for low vision and blind consumers.
This peer-led series of workshops addresses the common challenges faced by those
 living with long-term health conditions like diabetes, high blood
pressure, arthritis,
COPD or chronic pain.
Learn how to:
* Set small goals that lead to big transformations
* Lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier
* Find the motivation to tackle large goals
Learn action planning:
* Set small, achievable goals
* Build on success in a supportive environment
When: Tuesdays, April 3 through May 8, 1:00 to 3:30 p.m.
Where: Humboldt Senior Resource Center, 1910 California Street, Eureka, CA 95501
Space is limited. Contact Janet Pomerantz at the LightHouse of the
North Coast office
at 707-268-5646 for more information and reservations. Caregivers are welcome to
 attend with workshop participants.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13. Attention, Campers! Camp Sessions are Still Open

Caption: Young campers Justin Geissberger, Richard Helems, Tyler
Melone, Evan Milburn
and Daniel Witte play foosball at Enchanted Hills Camp

Registration for 2012 Enchanted Hills Camp sessions is now open.
Applications are
available for download on our website at
http://lighthouse-sf.org/programs/enchanted-hills/
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs-YMNKYERzfeTeFPWGbgGL6PMbg5FD_jiRjDfNEMNYh7ab0RtOq3HpU9TbUpz-qO_YOvc2MD4Q6c=].
Instructions and payment information are available on the application.
Our camping
sessions are extremely popular and fill up fast, so don't delay.
Applications will
be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, and reservations will
only be valid
after the LightHouse receives payment for each session. For more
information please
contact Rich Russo at rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org]
 or 415-694-7352.
2012 Camp Session Dates
Blind Babies Camp: June 15 through June 17
Family Camp I: June 21 through June 24
Adult Session: June 30 through July 5
Adults with Special Needs: July 7 through July 11
Family Camp II: July 12 through July 15
Youth Session I (3rd through 8th grade): July 16 through July 22
Youth Session II (9th through 12th grade): July 26 through August 4

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. Enchanted Hills Retreat - The Perfect Place for Your Meeting or Event

Caption: Enchanted Hills hiking trail, surrounded by greenery

Beautiful Enchanted Hills Retreat is located just 25 minutes from downtown Napa
on Mount Veeder Road. Take your meeting or event there with these special winter
 rates that will help you ring in the New Year. Want to have a family
reunion but
your house is too small and hotels are way too expensive? Does your
workgroup need
to get out of the office for a training or retreat? Is your church,
club or organization
in need of a place where you can get three bountiful meals and a place to gather
 for a day or a week?
For more information and availability, call 415-694-7310 or email Camp Director
Tony Fletcher at afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org
[mailto:afletcher at lighthouse-sf.org].
Read more about Enchanted Hills Retreat here:
http://www.enchantedhillsretreat.com/
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U2s-uPY8oUuUmIici0Y6XGZ8rnpWU7sSPVGgZnk0EmTeA==]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15. Volunteer to Help Blind Neighbors Run Errands and Tackle Mail

Caption: Personal Services Volunteer Kurt Lipschutz works with LightHouse client
 Alfrits Ngantung

We are particularly proud of our Personal Services Program, whereby we
match volunteers
with blind people to accomplish a variety of tasks such as reading
mail and running
errands.
"Helping someone else allows you to move outside yourself. The
selfless act of helping
someone else, without looking for reciprocation, allows you to move
outside yourself
and to 'pay it forward' in your own community without expecting remuneration."
-- LightHouse Volunteer Don M. Franklin.
As a Personal Services Volunteer you are matched one-on-one with a
blind or visually
impaired person to meet once a week, every other week or once a month for two to
 three hours to assist with everyday tasks. You may meet at the person's home or
 you may meet at the LightHouse. Volunteers are placed all over the Bay Area. To
 sign up, just give Development Director Randy Street a call at 415-694-7333 or
email him at rstreet at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:rstreet at lighthouse-sf.org] .

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16. Hands-on with "Enhanced Vision" Low Vision Products in San Francisco and San
 Rafael
Enhanced Vision is currently the number one manufacturer of desktop and handheld
 video magnification devices manufactured in California.
In April and May, representatives from Enhanced Vision will be at the LightHouse
 to present their most current reading devices so that you can see
what works for
you.
When: Friday, April 27 at LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters, 10:00
a.m. to 12:30
p.m.
When: Friday, May 11 at LightHouse of Marin, 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
If you have useable vision and are having difficulty reading, this is
an event you
will not want to miss.  Enhanced Vision has recently introduced some
exciting new
products that include "high-definition" video magnification devices in a variety
 of screen sizes and magnification levels; portable devices that
provide both magnification
and Text-to-Voice readers; and computer-compatible products that will
help you to
read again.
If you are not familiar with Enhanced Vision products, please check them out at
www.enhancedvision.com
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U0uhCGjM-QOyFLHssEiKQp8Mqq1cMvoLK4=].
Be sure to mark your calendar for this opportunity to see and try the
latest devices
available for people with macular degeneration and other causes of
visual impairment.
Those attending on April 27th in San Francisco can also can have a sneak-peak of
 our newly revamped, hands-on store, Adaptations, which offers
practical solutions
for living actively and independently.
For more information about the LightHouse and Adaptations, call
1-888-400-8933 or
visit our website at www.lighthouse-sf.org
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U2XHvwv5xW2MNI4moyX8g1aREWPXr_vrcI=].
And remember to calendar this event!

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17. Adaptations Featured Item of the Month: Eschenbach easyPOCKET 4x Magnifier

Caption: easyPOCKET magnifier

Are you looking for a small, illuminated magnifier that you can use in
restaurants
and other dimly lit locations? If so, the new Eschenbach easyPOCKET is
perfect for
you!
The Eschenbach easyPOCKET offers 4x magnification and features a unique 50x46 mm
 lens that is distortion-free and only 3 mm thick! Bright illumination
is provided
by new SMD LED technology that never needs to be changed. Plus, with a built-in
automatic contact mechanism, the light conveniently goes on and off
without a switch!
The easyPOCKET is protected by a strong, glass-fiber reinforced
plastic case that
minimizes lens scratching.
Purchase the easyPOCKET by clicking here:
http://bit.ly/easypocket
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsUG1o6bktDZo9loL4MQfMJ0eMRzZh_OG-L0Gmwtqv8sg=]
or call our store at our toll-free number, 1-888-400-8933.
The Adaptations store is located at LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters. Hours
 are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and every third Saturday of
 the month from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. Spring 2012 Calendar (April-June)
We have a variety of classes and events to serve our extended
community. We've created
a Calendar page on our website to showcase them.Click here to see our offerings
for April through June.
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs-YMNKYERzfeTeFPWGbgGL6PMbg5FD_jiwTunSMohwDScvpfNqx3rA6_ttzNaM_SE]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Community Events
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19. Access Advisors Open House & Disability Arts Festival at deYoung Museum
An art studio will be set up for the day, where participants can see artists at
work.  There will be iPad self-guided tours for the visually impaired available.
 Docents will give tours of the museum, including tours in which blind
and visually
impaired visitors may touch certain three-dimensional works of art on
exhibition.
Also included is a presentation of "Art Slam," a slideshow of artwork created by
 disabled artists including blind and visually impaired artists.
When: March 31, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Where: deYoung Museum, 50 Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco
To make a reservation for yourself or your guest, or to request
additional information
or specific accommodations, contact Tish Brown, Accessibility Coordinator at the
 de Young: 415-750-7645 or tbrown at famsf.org [mailto:tbrown at famsf.org].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20. CCB Spring 2012 Convention Scheduled for April
The California Council of the Blind (CCB) will hold its spring
conference and convention
from Thursday, April 12 through Sunday, April 15, 2012. The conference
and convention
will take place at the Crowne Plaza SFO Hotel, 1177 Airport Blvd.,
Burlingame, CA
94010. For more information call the CCB office at 800-221-6359, or visit their
website at www.ccbnet.org
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsQC6s3gem5U1SbrZ_8zzP0ctIqZwQdlUQ].

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noteworthy News
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21. Download Free Braille Books through American Action Fund
The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults (AAF) is making its free
braille books for blind children available online as downloadable BRF
files. Read
more here:
http://bit.ly/aafbooks
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsUG1o6bktDZod6k6aTsoWn9Fyvm-03la2]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22. Exciting Update on Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder Studies
As many of you know, Vanda has been conducting research on a sleep
problem related
to total blindness called Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder. They have
received many
questions asking for information about how the study is progressing and if it is
 working. Read their results so far:
http://bit.ly/non24hoursleep
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsUG1o6bktDZoCsG6Ak1ieJjFDj6BiJ7BKs_UebdjYu5g=]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23. First 'Fully Accessible' TV Launched
A major television manufacturer is about to launch a new range of
televisions that
they claim will be completely accessible to visually impaired people.
Read more here: http://bit.ly/accessibletv
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLsUG1o6bktDZod6k6aTsoWny6royodQzUEJE875ilQ7AY=]

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24. Accessibility Problems with your Citibank Account?
Attorneys Timothy Elder and Scott LaBarre are interested in speaking
with any blind
business owners or employees who have attempted to open or use a
business bank account
at Citibank. They are particularly interested to hear if you have had
any problems
with accessing the website interface for your account or entering your password
without sighted assistance. Interested individuals can contact Timothy Elder by
email at telder at trelegal.com [mailto:telder at trelegal.com]or by phone
at 410-415-3493.

Click Here to Return to the Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monthly Edition
March 2012
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

click here to donate
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFCMMAsXqL0-3QQVV8PZ11X-w_y5lu5qwzo9NdDzQ5eZACFDlqBZZkEDKEMr_3VjNbvV9RFMos9Q0OrNcL3pUtKM=]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25. Connect with us on Facebook!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"After 37 years working in ophthalmology and referring patients to the
LightHouse,
I am now able to use the services for my 86-year-old cousin who is legally blind
 with AMD [age-related macular degeneration]."

-- Facebook friend Shirley E. Russell

Find us on Facebook
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs2fDApp_olwIjil8D1Ud6kpOkVQ2m2a1QaKL2rkdi3EQ=]
Click here to return to Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26. We Tweet Too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay up to date on all the latest happenings at the LightHouse. Follow
our Tweets:

http://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109604473850&s=0&e=0012gLpCv2eUxy8fNxfzCutixxW5IDN1GIj9M5JqT4C8Oad6ug5jtYLFJuTn6nCaPLs5hcMd5mBmMpZUadWTvZ9-AeBj0snpKYD40EvQOJCFUFq0jiH075gaw==]

Click here to return to Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

27. What Our Readers Say
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Great communication vehicle. Something for everyone!"

--E-News Reader

Do you have feedback for us?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Let us know! Send an email to:

lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org [mailto:lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org]

Click here to return to Table of Contents

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=jl6rvncab&m=1102117926249&ea=aogarrio@lighthouse-sf.org&a=1109604473850&id=preview

This email was sent to aogarrio at lighthouse-sf.org by lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0e06pSyAA-ZizfXGO2RUBXwFUVEP0Aafg%3D%3D&t=001LNPaoxiNpI6onEroGoRhXA%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&id=001b-xBWU3VMkcyEq6OqyTRxJpB_L1KrHhe&llr=jl6rvncab

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0e06pSyAA-ZizfXGO2RUBXwFUVEP0Aafg%3D%3D&t=001LNPaoxiNpI6onEroGoRhXA%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&id=001b-xBWU3VMkcyEq6OqyTRxJpB_L1KrHhe&llr=jl6rvncab

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Online Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired | 214 Van Ness Avenue |
San Francisco | CA | 94102

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=jl6rvncab&m=1102117926249&ea=lmartinez217@gmail.com&a=1109639920047

This email was sent to lmartinez217 at gmail.com by lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org.