[Nfbc-info] Funding for Businesses and nonprofits to become ADA compliant?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 14:42:22 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm wondering if there are grants or funders who assist nonprofits or low
income businesses to become ADA compliant? I've been working on making San
Francisco Opera's Subtitles accessible for about three years and it has not
really changed from the first beta. Probably part of it is demand, I'm the
only blind person who even goes to SFO wanting to know the subtitles. But
their Tec guy is only there for two or three months out of the year. I know
the Opera's budget for anything is super tight as all their money comes from
donors, so I'm wondering if I can point them to some funds that can get this
product rolling again.
What would be optimal is if they got some blind programmers in there who
knows how screen readers work on different platforms and who could develop
something that could be made to work with other Opera houses.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs