[Nfbc-info] LightHouse Youth Program - Upcoming Outings

LightHouse for the Blind lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org
Fri Aug 23 18:00:45 UTC 2013

Join us for these upcoming outings hosted by the LightHouse for the Blind's Youth Program!

Climb to Your Heart's Content at Indian Rock Park in Berkeley
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired invites you and your friends in the LightHouse Youth Program to a day of exploration and climbing at Indian Rock Park in Berkeley.

Please sign up by August 16.

Who: Blind and Low Vision Youth, ages 8 to 18.

When: September 7, 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Where: We will meet at the Downtown Berkeley Bart Station at 11:00 a.m., and then take AC Transit #1 to Indian Rock Park.

Cost: There is no cost to participate; you will need money for public transportation

Waiver: Each participant must submit a LightHouse Youth Program waiver form, if they have not done so for a previous outing.

RSVP: Jamey Gump, Youth Services Coordinator, at jgump at lighthouse-sf.org or (415) 694-7372. Please register by August 16.

Volcanic in origin, Indian Rock is the largest of a number of similar rhyolite rock formations in the vicinity.  These rhyolite formations include smaller rocks on the east side of Indian Rock Avenue. Remains of acorn-grinding pits carved into solid rock can be found in these outcroppings, especially the aptly named Mortar Rock. These pits were made by the local indigenous people, the Huichin band of the Ohlones.

Things to Bring:

Water bottle

Hat or visor

Bag lunch (there is no place nearby to purchase food, therefore, please bring a bag lunch with you)

Sunscreen

Wear comfortable hiking clothes

Comfortable hiking shoes

Cane or mobility device

Jacket or hoodie

***

Whitewater Rafting with the LightHouse Youth Program

Join The LightHouse and Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) as we go whitewater rafting on the South Fork of the American River. Youth ages 14-24 are invited to attend this thrilling rafting trip and overnight campout at ETC.

Please sign up by August 31.

We will leave early Saturday, September 21st to arrive at the South Fork of the American River by midday for an exciting afternoon of whitewater rafting. Once we finish our river float, we will go to ETC's overnight camp where we will cook dinner together. After dinner, we'll enjoy socializing around the campfire with old and new friends.  The next morning we will pack-up camp and return to San Francisco by noon, traffic permitting.

Space is limited to 8 Participants.

Who: Low Vision or Blind Transition Age Youth (ages 14-24)

What: Whitewater Rafting and an Overnight Campout

When: Depart 8:00 a.m. Saturday, September 21st and Return 12:00 p.m. (noon) Sunday, September 22nd

Where: South Fork of the American River & ETC's Overnight Camp

Transportation: Transportation from the San Francisco LightHouse will be provided for those attending

Waiver: Each youth participant must submit 2 waiver forms, one from The San Francisco LightHouse AND the other from Environmental Travel Companions.  Please contact Jamey Gump to receive the waivers. Spots will only be reserved when payment and signed waivers are received.

Cost: The cost of the event is $60.00 per participant. LightHouse will cover overnight costs, transportation, dinner, and breakfast the following morning. Spots will only be reserved once payment and the two signed waivers are received.

RSVP: Jamey Gump, Youth Services Coordinator at jgump at lighthouse-sf.org or (415) 694-7372.  Space is limited to 8 participants. Please register by August 31th!

Please Bring:

Bottle of water

Hat or visor

Sunscreen

Sleeping bag

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Water shoes

Jacket /hoodie

Cane or mobility device

Any necessary medication

Personal toiletries (for the overnight campout at ETC's campsite)

Two signed waivers for LightHouse and Environmental Travel Companions

***

Explore the Old Ships of San Francisco
Join your friends at the LightHouse as the Youth Program explores the old ships of San Francisco. On Saturday, October 26, we will head down to the San Francisco waterfront for an exclusive tour of the historical ships docked at the Hyde Street Pier, and take a tour of the Maritime National Historical Visitor's Center.
Please sign up by September 10.

Who: Low Vision or Blind Transition Age Youth (ages 8 to 18)
What: Tour of the Maritime National Historical Visitor's Center & Tour of the old ships of San Francisco at the Hyde Street Pier
When: Saturday, October 26, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Hyde Street Pier and the Maritime National Historical Park of San Francisco
Transportation: We will meet at LightHouse San Francisco and take MUNI to the Hyde Street Pier.  Please bring money for the bus to and from the park, $0.75 each way for a total of $1.50.
Waiver: Each participant must submit a LightHouse Youth Program waiver form, if they have not done so for a previous outing.
Cost: FREE! The cost of this tour has been waived for our participants; however, each participant must bring $1.50 for the bus and bring their own lunch.
RSVP: Jamey Gump, Youth Services Coordinator, at jgump at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:jgump at lighthouse-sf.org> or (415) 694-7372. Please register early! RSVP by September 10.

We'll begin the fun by meeting at 214 Van Ness Ave (San Francisco's LightHouse) promptly at 11:00 a.m. Together, we'll take MUNI to the Maritime National Historical Visitor's Center where we will learn about the history of the ships and shipping in and around the Bay Area. After we learn all we can at the Visitor's Center, we'll walk across the street to Aquatic Park where each participant can eat the bag lunch they brought with them. After lunch, we'll tour the old ships and check out the maritime artifacts along the Hyde Street Pier.

Things to Bring:
Bag lunch (each participant is responsible for bringing their own lunch)
Bottle of water
Hat or visor
Sunscreen
Jacket/Hoodie