[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: [nfb-talk] Job posting at BLIND, Inc.
info at michaelhingson.com
Tue Dec 24 20:56:23 UTC 2013
From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dick Davis
(by way of David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>)
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:35 AM
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nfb-talk] Job posting at BLIND, Inc.
Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions (BLIND), Inc.
100 East 22nd Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 612-872-0100,
SEEKING A COMMUNICATIONS INSTRUCTOR
We are looking for someone who is passionate about teaching,
excited by new challenges, and interested in working as part of a small but
energetic team. For over 25 years, Blindness:
Learning In New Dimensions (BLIND, Inc.) has provided small group
instruction in the alternative techniques of blindness. Our programs are
based on a positive attitude toward blindness and a belief in the normality
and competency of blind people. We know that with proper training and
opportunity, blind people can live full, happy, and successful lives.
Students at BLIND, Inc. learn Braille and computers in an
integrated curriculum that teaches both at the same time. Students learn
Braille using the innovative Code Master Braille instruction system, which
the successful applicant will learn.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide individualized instruction to blind adults in all areas
of Braille, including but not limited to:
* Memorization of the braille code
* Braille reading
* Writing braille with a slate and stylus
* Writing braille on a braille writer
* Reading and writing braille on electronic devices including notetakers
and braille displays
2. Provide individualized instruction to blind adults in all areas
of assistive technology including but not limited to:
* Windows operating systems
* JAWS for Windows and other screen readers
* Microsoft Office applications
* The internet
* Braille displays
* Smart phones
3. Provide instruction to several adult students in a small group format.
4. Use the curriculum to develop individualized lesson plans and update the
curriculum as needed.
5. Write comprehensive monthly reports on each student describing progress
made and goals to be completed.
6. Participate and assist in all center activities such as rock climbing,
skiing, and camping, including on some evenings and weekends
7. Function as part of a team, maintaining close communication with the
director and other instructors, and actively participate in staff and other
8. Promote the organization's progressive philosophy of blindness and
positive attitudes to students, co-workers and others, and provide support
and guidance to students throughout their program. Actively represent BLIND,
Inc. in public meetings and presentations.
9. Actively promote the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind
both during and outside of class.
10. Other duties as assigned
1. Expertise in the areas of Braille and assistive technology, especially
with Windows screen reader software.
2. Able to pass the NCLB test and the technology tests administered by State
Services for the Blind of Minnesota within 6 months of employment.
3. Willingness to undergo and successfully complete a period of paid staff
training in order to learn alternative skills of blindness.
This includes learning the Code Master Braille instruction system.
4. Must have a college degree or comparable work experience.
5. Ability to plan, organize and develop lessons.
6. Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and must
be able to work effectively as part of a team
7. Must demonstrate the ability to work with a variety of people in a
variety of situations.
8. Must possess the organizational skills required to work with multiple
students on multiple projects.
9. Must be able to learn new products and updates as they become available.
10. Must be committed to the independence and full community integration of
Please send cover letter and resume to Dick Davis, Interim Executive
Director, at <mailto:ddavis at blindinc.org>ddavis at blindinc.org, or to the
address listed above. Questions? Contact Helen Stevens, Communications
Instructor, at <mailto:hstevens at blindinc.org>hstevens at blindinc.org.
nfb-talk mailing list
nfb-talk at nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
More information about the Nfbc-info