[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: a response to Bob Burke's email of last Friday

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Sat Jun 29 03:11:40 UTC 2013

Greetings all,

Earlier this month I forwarded to you a letter I sent to the Board of
Directors of Guide Dogs for the Blind expressing my concerns over actions
the GDB leadership team has taken to the detriment of the program and the
school's relationship with consumers.  This past Friday the first
communications from the Board was sent to consumers.  Given that letter's
total lack of substance I made the response you will see below.

As back ground, since my first letter I have heard from many individuals
including staff, volunteers, donors, and consumers all of whom expressed
support for what I said.  The staff comments were especially disconcerting
since I heard that many at the school feared for their jobs and that the
overall attitude of many of the workers was that of a disenchanted and
fearful lot.  I have seen emails from donors who indicate that they no
longer shall give to the school.  Consumers tell me they will not go back to
GDB for training and new dogs.  Blind workers, I understand, are most
unhappy and fearful of all.

I am sending this to you as Guide Dogs for the Blind has been one of the
premiere organizations serving blind people in the United States and now it
is coming across as one of the worst.  This kind of information is important
to you whether or not you use a guide dog.  You should be aware of how
important it is for us as concerned blind consumers and citizens to stay on
top of what agencies purporting to serve us do and how they behave.  I look
forward to seeing many of you next week in Orlando.  I am sure the GDB issue
will be discussed and pondered.

Best,

Michael Hingson