[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: [nfbwnews] Minnesota State Services for the Blind Jobs

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Thu May 30 14:25:51 UTC 2013

From: nfbwnews [mailto:nfbwnews-bounces at nfbwis.org] On Behalf Of Dick Davis
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 06:36 AM
To: jobs at nfbnet.org; rehab at nfbnet.org
Cc: Steve Jacobson; National Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin News List;
jennifer.dunnam1829 at gmail.com
Subject: [nfbwnews] Minnesota State Services for the Blind Jobs

Hi,

Below is the link to Minnesota state government employment:

http://www.careers.state.mn.us/

I'm posting it because the director of Minnesota State Services for the
Blind (SSB) advised me to have interested individuals post their resumes on
it.  I understand that if you have a resume posted, you will hear of job
openings and be able to apply for them, and SSB will hear of you too.
That's important because it seems that almost as soon as we hear about a job
opening at SSB, and send it out on these listservs, it closes.  Many of the
employees at SSB are reaching retirement age, and as a result, a number of
jobs will come open in the future.  There are rehab counselor jobs, but
there are going to be others, including jobs in our Senior Services Unit
which do not require a degree in rehab counseling.  The State of Minnesota
pays well and has good benefits.

SSB needs to hire more blind people.  At our recent NFB of Minnesota
semiannual convention, one of our members who had applied for a job at SSB
said he had learned that only seven out of SSB's 120 employees were blind.
There followed a discussion about ways in which SSB could do a better job
hiring blind persons, and the NFB of Minnesota is putting increasing
pressure on SSB to do so.   SSB staff say they would like to hire more blind
people if they could find qualified ones.  So I think it would be good if
lots of you went to the link and put your resumes into the system.

Thank you for your participation in this.

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee