[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: Fair Wages Update 5/30/2013

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Thu May 30 19:48:43 UTC 2013

Best,

Michael Hingson

From: Lewis, Anil [mailto:ALewis at nfb.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:23 PM
Subject: Fair Wages Update 5/30/2013

Affiliate Leaders, Legislative Directors and Grassroots Advocates:

The following is a quick Fair wages update on HR 831 co-sponsors, our online
petition, and a personal expression of appreciation to members of our Ohio
affiliate.  There is work to do, so please review it carefully, and contact
me with any questions.

We have added three new Fair Wage Champions.  Rep Thompson (PA), Rep Ryan
(OH), and Rep Fudge (OH) are now co-sponsors of HR 831, the Fair Wages for
Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013.  This brings us to a total of 37
co-sponsors.  Our work is not done.  Let's keep at it.

It looks like we took a break in getting signatures on our online Fair Wages
petition.  We have over 2,600, but we must keep growing the number of
signatures by driving people to www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition.  The online
petition has an email validation process to prevent the petition from being
compromised.  However, many people do not have access to email.   So I have
attached an excel spreadsheet template that can be used to acquire the
signatures of those that do not have email addresses.  Please canvas your
community and workplace to identify additional signatories, provide the
requested information for each individual and email me as many signatures as
you can obtain prior to our national convention.

I want to thank Barbara Pierce and the entire Ohio affiliate for working so
hard on the local level to secure two of our new champions from Ohio.  I
corresponded with the staff in the offices of Congresswoman Fudge and
Congressman Ryan.  I had several conversations with the staff from
Congressman Ryan's' office, and will continue to provide you with support as
you work to secure co-sponsorship from your members of Congress.  It is your
local advocacy that makes the difference, and our grassroots advocacy that
makes the Federation so powerful.

As a result of our collective action, the momentum is growing.  Let's keep
fighting the good fight.

Sincerely,

Anil

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.

Director of Advocacy and Policy

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland   21230