[Nfbc-info] Last plea to friends and family

rickwatson1113 at comcast.net rickwatson1113 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 3 00:06:43 UTC 2013

Hello Friends and Family,

If I can impose upon you one more time about this event, please read on.

We don't have nearly as many confirmed reservations as people who have told us they are attending the blind wine tasting this Sunday. Please book right away at

www.tastinginthedark.eventbrite.com

Confirmations have been light so if you are on the fence or if your plans have changed, please join us for some fun and to support a good cause at the same time. We really hope to see you.

The following article ran in the Davis Enterprise this past Sunday.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/try-tasting-wines-in-the-dark-at-downtown-event/

Tasting in the Dark

(A truly Blind wine tasting)

Plus, a once in a lifetime tasting of a 62 year-old 1951 Chateau Latour!

Tasting in the Dark is a wine tasting and sensory experience like no other. Each guest is blindfolded and led by totally blind UC Davis Organic Chemistry Ph.D. student, Hoby Wedler, this tasting experience explores how flavors and aromas in wine are heightened by figuratively turning off the lights and tasting wines in complete darkness.  The program begins with a sensory examination of distinct aromas including a few primary scents generally found in wine.  Next, a flight of four Coppola wines are introduced on the palate, each guest busy distinguishing what familiar tastes are being encountered.  Tasting in the Dark aims to break down some of the preconceived barriers to wine tasting, while allowing guests to enjoy wine in an uninhibited environment.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

3 to 5:30 PM with the blind tasting beginning at 3:30 and the Latour tasting at 5 PM.

Location, Vini Wine Bar, 611 2nd Street in Davis between E and F Streets.

$40 in advance and $50 at the door.

Make reservations for both event items online at www.tastinginthedark.eventbrite.com      or purchase tickets at the Vini Wine Bar.

Space is limited to 50 people.

Email MM at MikeMay.org if you have questions

All proceeds will benefit Accessible Science, which puts on a chemistry camp for the blind and the local chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of California.

Wines donated by Francis Ford Coppola Winery Venue donated by the Vini Wine Bar, which offers 80 wines on tap, available for purchase after the blind tasting.

Patrick May has donated a 62 year-old bottle of Latour wine, which could sell for over $2000 on the open market. The mystery with a wine that old is whether it is turned or if it is amazing. Either way, it will be unique. There are ten slots open for this tasting at 5 PM on the 6th at $62 each. Here is one Internet blurb about a tasting of this vintage.

“The Noble Family Latour Collection, 6/2/2012 93 points By John Kapon

(Latour) The next flight began with another impressive ‘off’ vintage, the 1951 Latour. ‘Tannic’ came from the crowd, and we had another incredibly fresh, old wine on our hands. Signature walnut and black fruit were present in the nose, which came across almost as if a shot of Napa Valley was in my glass. The palate was heavy and oily with black fruit and cola flavors, along with a dry, slaty finish (93).

Being able to taste one of the eight greatest vineyards as it commanded in the 1855 French classification of wines has to be a distinction that not many can attest to tasting.”