[Nfbc-info] Fwd: Technology In My Shoe ?

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Oct 8 05:53:20 UTC 2013

	I don't think I want to wear a shoe that can call for an ambulance if
I step on it wrong.  That feature has got to go!
	I wonder how robust the technology is if I tramp  through a mud
puddle, walk in the rain, scuff the shoe against a curb, sit at my desk and
tap the shoe against the footrest, or, step in a pile of dog do?  Since the
shoe is considered to be quite dirty in many cultures--tossing a shoe at
someone is considered the ultimate insult as many may remember from the
Bush Jr. shoe tossing incident--I have to wonder what the cultural
implications of having the blind wear a smart shoe are?  I'm troubled by
the line, "since the shoe is ultimately guiding the blind person it's a
matter of trusting the shoe".  I'm ok with getting ansilary data from the
shoe, but the shoe guiding me?  No!   I think it's an interesting concept, but
the premise from which it is being developed seems, well, wrong.  It could
be a language barrier, but, I doubt it.
-Brian