[Nfbc-info] White Cane Safety Day

Lauren Merryfield lauren1 at catliness.com
Mon Oct 21 05:27:17 UTC 2013

Hi,
Speaking of White Cane Safety Day I have a question, and I hope someone on
this list knows the actual laws, not just speculation.

On another list, there was an ad for Kustom Canes. They put whatever you
want on a cane. Mine, of course, has "meow", "Purr" and cats on it but the
cane is mostly white.

Some people on the list are concerned that decorated canes are not legal in
the case of an accident.  Do white cane laws specify that the canes of blind
people have to be solid white, or with 6 inches of red at the bottom etc.? I
know that Rain/Shine canes and NFB canes have not had the 6 inches of red
that some people say we're supposed to have.

Well, my kitty cane has been as helpful to me exactly as well as a totally
white cane, PURRhaps better. But now I am curious about what the laws
actually say--not in legalese but in plain English, please.
Thanks
Lauren