[Nfbc-info] Note-Taking Devices

Chela Robles cdrobles693 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 02:30:11 UTC 2013

Hello all,
I have told you while back that I'm going to take the Administrative
Assistant Program starting October 21st and through the summer of 2014
at Mt. Diablo Adult Education School in my hometown, Concord, California
and I have made a list in conjunction with the financial aid adviser who
will be working with my counselor and I to make sure I succeed. A couple
of the items I listed I think are note-taking possibilities a windows
professional 7 equipped laptop and the Braille Focus 14 display.
My question to all of you since I'm not going to divulge my whole list
which is only ten items, which I'm sure you guys don't wish to read
unless I'm wrong about that then let me know.
Anyway my question is what do you guys use for taking notes in school?
Several people from the IOs listserv I'm on say they use their IPads,
IPhones, IPod Touches, MacBookPro's, while others use PC Laptops in
conjunction with braille displays that have the braille keyboard
integrated with the laptop while still others use just the braille
display because it has note-taking functionality itself, yet others
still stick to the classic note-takers such as from Humanware or the pac
mate from Freedom Scientific which mine didn't last. I just really think
personally it would be easier to take the laptop and the braille display
along with the digital recorder I have from Olympus to record lectures,
but I want to make sure I know what others are using but to me it sounds
like a lot of people are using their IDevices or Braille displays in
conjunction with the IDevices or as a stand-alone note-taker, or in
conjunction or without laptops whether from Apple or PC-based, now, but
correct me if I'm wrong, but there are still those who use the older
technology such as what I mentioned before from Freedom Scientific which
again my Pac Mate did retire and I'd not get one again.
I'd like to know before 8AM PST. Tomorrow.
I don't want to limit myself yet I want to make sure I don't break
Rehab's budget smiles.
I have a meeting tomorrow with a tech evaluator name Steven Clark from
Adaptive Technology Services, even though I already gave him the list,
I'd still like to know what others are using to take notes in classes
nowadays.
Thanks for your kind responses.
Chela Robles

Teachers have a sacred task:
It is to give children the skills to understand the world and an expectation that the world is a trustworthy place; that it is full of light, and love, and music and that each student deserves--and will have--their own place in it and the chance to play their own song.
And, as much of these expectations are transmitted non-verbally—and in Chela’s case--out of sight…it is the voice and touch of a Teacher that sheds light on what the world can be.
Academics—and no one will ever change my mind on this—take a distant second place. —Dr. Bil Hawkins
--
Chela Robles a Nationally Certified person in Customer Service, certified by the National Retail Federation Foundation (NRF): http://www.nrffoundation.com/
E-mail: cdrobles693 at gmail.com
Windows Live Messenger: cdrobles693 at hotmail.com