[Nfbc-info] Note-Taking Devices

Amber Boggs amber at amberboggs.com
Fri Sep 13 04:41:54 UTC 2013

Shannon, you bring up a lot of really great points. And I have to agree totally.

I personally love my braille note apex. Yes it has its problems, but the things that it is able to do are priceless.
I absolutely love my iPhone, but I definitely would not want to use it in any capacity for notetaking in classes etc. The main reason I wouldn't want to use it in this capacity would be because the battery life is not that great. And I would never want to run out of a battery on my cell phone.
Hey cell phone should be used primarily for phone calls etc. Not as your main computer when you were out. Unless you have plans to recharge the battery etc. In a classroom environment your battery would die immensely fast.

Back to notetaking devices such as a braille note. These devices do many other things besides just take notes. You can use book share on them they have calendars email you can browse the web and an boss from them.
If you were trying to stay within a particular budget, I would highly recommend going with a notetaking device, a portable laptop, etc
  If you have to eliminate a piece of equipment from your list, I would definitely eliminate the focus 14. I own one and it is a very cool device but it is definitely not practical for taking notes in classes etc. Your Braille  note if you receive one will also pair with your iPhone and act very similarly to the focus 14.
One thing to consider when choosing a note taker. Some of the notetakers nowadays will interface with dropbox excel etc. The braille note will not interact with dropbox which may be a downside for you. The products made by Hinz will do this and over all are pretty good devices.
May I ask who the rehab counselor is? I used to live in that area I know several of them. Smile I might be able to help more if I know who you're working with.

Sent from my iPhone