[Nfbc-info] December 2014

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 01:16:31 UTC 2014

Mary Willows, President

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925) 895-2778

 <mailto:mwillows at sbcglobal.net> mwillows at sbcglobal.net

December 2014 Bulletin

"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple:
loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for the holidays
to do that?"- Bob Hope

Dear Fellow Federationists,

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back."

2015 Scholarship Program

Deadline: March 31, 2015

Are you a legally blind college student living in the United States or
Puerto Rico? This annual program offers 30 scholarships worth from $3,000 to
$12,000 to eligible students, from high school seniors beginning their
freshman year in the fall semester of 2015, up through grad students working
on their PhD degrees. These merit scholarships are based on academic
excellence, community service, and leadership. In addition to the money,
each winner will receive assistance to attend the July 2015 NFB annual
convention in Orlando, Florida, providing an excellent opportunity for
high-level networking with active blind persons in many different
professions and occupations.  To apply, read the rules and the Submission
Checklist, complete the official 2015 Scholarship Application Form (online
or in print), supply all required documents, and request and complete one
interview by an NFB affiliate president (unless the president requests a
later date). Applications are accepted for five months, from November 1,
2014, to March 31, 2015. Go to  <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>
www.nfb.org/scholarships for complete rules and requirements.

Dr. Newel Perry is inducted to the Hall of Fame

On October 17, 2014, the American Printing House for the Blind in
Louisville, Kentucky held the annual induction ceremony to the Hall of Fame
for individuals who have distinguished themselves in the field of work with
the blind.  We are pleased and proud to report that the National Federation
of the Blind of California sponsored the plaque to honor Dr. Newel Perry in
the "Hall of Fame".

On December 10, 2014 the California School for the Blind will have a formal
dedication of the APH Hall of Fame Award to honor Dr. Perry.  President Mary
Willows will be present to give remarks about Dr. Newel Perry and how his
work and inspirations spawned progressive legislation and opportunities for
the blind.  To read more about Dr. Perry and the foundations of the National
Federation of the Blind, I recommend that you go to the following link.
Enjoy:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm12/bm1210/bm121015.htm>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm12/bm1210/bm121015.htm

Enjoy the chapter celebrations over the holidays.  Enjoy the season.  Stay
safe.  See you in the New Year!

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925-462-8575

Thank you,