[Nfbc-info] Deadline Nears for Film Submissions for Superfest, the World’s Longest Running Disability Film Festival

LightHouse for the Blind lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org
Wed Feb 26 23:48:33 UTC 2014

Your Opportunity to Contribute to Disability Culture Begins Here

Submit Your Film to Superfest XXVIII

Superfest, the world's longest-running juried international disability film festival, is seeking your entry for submission to our 2014 film competition. Held at the Contemporary Jewish Museum on November 2, 2014, this film festival will focus exclusively on short films 40 minutes and under in length that compellingly portray disabilities or are written, produced, directed or starring disabled individuals.

Superfest is the primary international showcase for innovative films that portray disability culture and experience in all its diverse, complex, and empowering facets. Entries for Superfest XXVIII must be postmarked on or before March 15th, 2014, no exceptions.

[Superfest International Disability Film Festival logo and images from last year’s event including Bryan Bashin being interviewed, the full audience at the event and last year’s host, Lawrence Carter-Long]

Superfest is juried and hosted by a committee representing the diverse disability community of the San Francisco bay area, arguably the crucible of the disability rights movement. Join with disability leaders and thinkers as we celebrate the creativity of film producers who bring our world to the critical attention of others.

A sneak peek at some of the awards to be given out at Superfest XXVIII:

  *   Audience Access Award -- Recognizes a successful approach to expanding the audience for disability films through captioning, audio description or other accommodations.
  *   Spirit of Superfest -- An outstanding work in which a person with a disability has a significant role in producing the film, e.g., producer, director, writer. To be eligible for this award, a film must also receive an Achievement, Excellence or Best of Festival Award.
  *   P.K. Walker Award -- This award recognizes innovation in the use of narrative, cinematography, or other filmmaking techniques. Its intent is to encourage exploration of new ways to communicate the experiences of people with disabilities. (New in 2006)

Where: The festival will be held at the accessible and vibrant Contemporary Jewish Museum in the heart of San Francisco, next to Yerba Buena Gardens, SFMOMA and the Metreon.
When: Sunday November 2, 2014--specific times for film showings will be announced once the program has been finalized.

Click here for more information or to submit your film online.<http://superfestfilm.com/?page_id=13>

Thank you to our Silver Screen Sponsor Michele Spitz/Woman of Her Word.
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CF32FB.1714C150]