[Nfbc-info] My job/ my vision

Jonathan Lyens jonathan at lyens.com
Sat Jan 25 21:53:30 UTC 2014

Hi Caroline,

I have worked in labor relations in the public sector, and handled many outcomes resulting from bad process during these types of situations. First of all, I would definitely involve your union rep in all activities and/or communications. Your requests to your employer need to be clear and well defined - your rep should be able to help you with this. Also, document everything. If you made a formal request for a reasonable accommodation after you disclosed your disability, and have not received a response, I would follow up in writing. In that letter, remind them that you initially made your request on date X, subsequent to disclosing your disability. I would assume that your union contract also clearly defines the reasonable accommodation practice. You must consult this document. If you don't have a copy, ask your rep for one. Failure to follow your contract process could impeed your ability to have an internal resolution. So, basically, listen to your rep and write everything down.

Hope this is helpful.

Jonathan