[Nfbc-info] challenge completing Rosen Center Hotel survey

Skewis, Brian@DCA Brian.Skewis at dca.ca.gov
Fri Jul 11 15:10:19 UTC 2014

Hi Lisa,

We at the Board encountered similar issues in the development phase of our guide dog consumer survey. I found that depending on which narration program was being used, there were issues with radio buttons, matrices, etc.

We settled on pop-up buttons (or drop down menus) and that seemed to alleviate the issues in JAWS and Apple's Voice Over. Unfortunately, those are the only programs I have access to.

This was my first encounter with these programs and I had quite a learning curve, but I found that even in the format that we had accessibility issues with, I was able to complete the surveys with a combination of using the tab button to advance, and spacebar to select. That was after I had to click on the actual question which I know isn't an option for all users.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you, but I figured I would share our findings and hope they help find a solution to your difficulties with this survey.

Brian Skewis
Executive Officer
California State Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind
Office: 916-574-7825
Email: brian.skewis at dca.ca.gov
Website: www.guidedogboard.ca.gov