[Nfbc-info] Cinco de Mayo San Diego Style

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Sun May 4 02:55:03 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Today four soon-to-be members of the forthcoming San Diego NFB chapter
celebrated Cinco de Mayo San Diego style.

Three of us rode the bus and then the trolley to the Old Town Transit Center
where we made our way to a mini-mart and met up with another friend. Two of
us were accompanied by our guide dogs. Our friends used their canes. We
asked for directions and eventually followed the sound of the la musica. We
explored a couple of booths. I found some dream catchers. Because they were
commercially made I didn't buy any. I showed one of our members what the
Ballet Fokloria's dress looks like. Then we made our way to one of the
grassy stage areas. We relaxed for about 45 minutes and listened to classica
Cumbia musica. The woman sitting next to me translated some of the lyrics.
One song was about a guy seeing a shark! Another song was about many foods
and high cholesterol! Yes, for real.

Of course we found the food booths. A couple group members ate sausage and
peppers. Hmm, isn't that a German dish? I ate something that resembled a
quesadilla. It had charbroiled chicken and was way better than my microwaved
quesadillas. We carried our food and followed the musica de las Mariachies.
What a treat! It was after four o' clock by the time we left the festival
and made our way back to the trolley. Our outing was fun.

For one member the day was an opportunity to learn basic bus riding skills
and to walk solo. I'll tell you more about this person's rebirth of
independence and self-confidence after we work together next week riding the
busses and finding bus stops.

Thank you everyone for all you've done to help and encourage me over the
past ten months. You've given me the confidence to pass on the Federation
flame that combusts into self-reliance and self-respect.

From,

Lisa Irving