[Nfbc-info] September 2014 Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 1 23:43:23 UTC 2014

 <https://nfb.org/reflecting-the-nfb-brand> National Federation of the Blind
logo and tagline - Live the life you want.       September 2014 Bulletin

Mary Willows, President

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925) 462-8575

 <mailto:mwillows at sbcglobal.net> mwillows at sbcglobal.net

Convention Registration

Register now for the 2014 annual convention of the National Federation of
the Blind of California.  The theme this year is CHANGE.  Creating Hope
through Advocacy and New ideas with Gratitude and Enthusiasm.  The dates are
October 9 through 12. The location is the Embassy Suites South, 1440 East
Imperial Avenue, El Segundo, CA 90245.  Make your reservations as soon as
possible.  The deadline for the convention hotel rate of $125 is September
19, 2014.  Convention registration is $20.  There will be one luncheon for
the Diabetes Action Network on Saturday October 11 for $25.  The highlight
of the convention will be our banquet Saturday evening for $30.
Registration and two meals can be purchased for $75. You will need your
hotel reservation confirmation number in order to complete the
pre-registration form.  Click on the following link to register for the
convention  <http://www.formstack.com/forms/?986187-OKrkn0JGXG>
http://www.formstack.com/forms/?986187-OKrkn0JGXG.

Transportation Arrangements

We have tentatively reserved buses that will pick up passengers in the south
and north.  You must be pre-registered in order to get a seat on the bus.
The northern California bus will originate in Sacramento at the Amtrak
station on Thursday, October 9 departing at 9 a.m. with one stop at the
Dublin / Pleasanton BART station at approximately 10:30 a.m.

The southern California bus will originate at the Goeske Center, 5257 Sierra
Street, Riverside at 10:00 a.m.  There will be one additional stop at the
McDonald's located at 9147 Central Avenue in Montclair.  For questions
contact the bus coordinators.  The southern bus coordinator is Carmen
Weatherly 909-486-2004.  The northern bus coordinator is Rick Watson
707-673-7094.

Convention Events

On Thursday evening, October 9, we will hold a "Meet the Blind Month" event
at the Manhattan Beach Pier.  All who can get there should meet at the Stage
Hotel at 6 p.m.  The California Association of Guide Dog Users will lead the
way on a walk along the pier at sunset.  Participants will return to the
hotel at 9 p.m. for a hospitality meet and greet with light snacks.

On Friday the Board of Directors will meet, along with the Resolutions
Committee, students, and the exhibit hall, which is open to the public. From
7 to 9 Friday evening we will showcase our California Idol Talent Show.  A
donation of $5 will be accepted at the door.  For more details on this
terrific show, see the flyer at the end of this bulletin.

>From 9 p.m. to midnight the California Association of Blind Students will
host Monte Carlo night.  Guests can purchase bags of poker chips for $10 at
the door.

The annual convention is the only place where blind and sighted alike can
meet and network with mentors and role models who share their experiences,
courage, and inspiration.  Don't miss this opportunity to learn how you can
live the life you want.

Scholarship Application Now Available

Every year the National Federation of the Blind of California presents
scholarships to qualified college students.  This year we are proud to
announce that there will be three scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each.
Applications are now being accepted.  The deadline is Completed applications
and all required documents must be postmarked by September 15, 2014.

 <http://www.formstack.com/forms/?973942-RdalroecB2>
http://www.formstack.com/forms/?973942-RdalroecB2

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

GOT TALENT!!!

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO STAND BESIDE AND COMPETE WITH OTHER GREAT BLIND
AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED SINGERS

WELL, COME BE a CONTESTANT AT OUR

CALIFORNIA IDOL

The National Federation of the Blind of California will showcase phenomenal
voices from coast to coast on Friday, October 10, 2014

So, get the dust out of those pipes of yours and be a contestant at our
state convention

Prizes for first, second and third will be awarded

There's no fee to enter the competition, but you must first, be blind or
visually impaired, second, send an email with your Name, contact number and
email address to Rochelle Houston  <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com>
rhouston58 at gmail.com or call 323 807-0300

Third, provide the committee with your song choice. All songs must be
emailed or received by Rochelle Houston by the designated deadline

Spots for this competition are limited so hurry and submit your entry!

Deadline is Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Of course you want to be there to experience this exciting showcase of
talent!

Donation:  $5 at the door

If you have any questions, please contact one of the following committee
members:

Rochelle Houston  <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com> rhouston58 at gmail.com

Charlotte Carroll  <mailto:mizzcharlotte at sbcglobal.net>
mizzcharlotte at sbcglobal.net

Chuy Vaca  <mailto:chuy2813 at gmail.com> chuy2813 at gmail.com

Kia Vaca  <mailto:chuyandkia at gmail.com> chuyandkia at gmail.com

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

Thank you,

Mary Willows, President NFBC