[Nfbc-info] advocate for access to online instructional material

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Sat Aug 8 23:18:38 UTC 2015

Hi,
I am not a registered college student. However, I have taken continued
education of various types and I think this is an important issue too. So I
hope you will not delete my letter as irrelevant. I am an older person,
still interested in learning, now taking classes online on my own time, at
my own expense, in some cases.

I received my Master's back in 1986. Back then, I used a braille slate to
take notes in class and had readers, or used RFB&D to record my texts. I
used a standard manual typewriter to type my lessons; later using an
electric typewriter. I went from reel-to-reel tapes to cassette tapes for
recorded materials.

Now I am taking classes of various kinds for my own enjoyment or to learn
more about a particular subject.
I have taken behavioral courses, preministerial courses, and taken surveys
for various entities. I almost always find difficulties with websites. I am
a totally blind person using the JAWS screen reader. I am not techy enough
to be able to tell you what is wrong with the websites or how to fix them.
However, I often have trouble with links that won't work, check marks that
are not marked with alternative text, popups that interfere with what I am
reading, play buttons on audios that won't play, and occasionally my browser
and JAWS and the site I am on crashing.

I have taken courses recently with
www.dailyohm.com
and
www.soundstrue.com
etc, and  their audios will not play for me so I miss out on that part of
their courses. I have contacted them but they haven't fixed the problem.

I am taking "Launch your ministry" courses on
www.pentecostalpublishinghouse.org
and although I finally figured out how to get the audios to play, it took a
lot of time and effort on my part to figure them out. When they send me
emails, when I go to links, my laptop often crashes. I think they are using
some type of flash that JAWS doesn't like. I have had difficulties with both
Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Some courses have involved pdfs. Those are notorious for not working
correctly with JAWS. Often, when I attempt to open one, it will say
"alert:empty document" or "alert:document being processed" which does not
happen. Sometimes they will read but words will be stuck together, sounding
like gibberish.

Some courses are in eBook format, which could be accessible to me if they
used html, plain text or Ms Word. However, they are often in Kindle format,
or other eBook formats that are not accessible, so I can't even get excited
when I hear that something is available in eBook format. Audio eBooks are
often in flash or some type that does not work for me. Case in
point:Audible.com. Their books are very difficult to read, especially if I
want to start and stop where I left off, fast forward or rewind. Jaws loses
focus easily. I don't know if they are using some type of flash or what it
is. They say they are going to fix their website and reading format, but
that was several years ago. No one makes these companies make sure their
materials work for blind students.

I have had difficulties reading books for courses, too, because they are
usually in print or Kindle format. I sure wish it was required that all
print books had to be published in an eBook or mp3 format that blind people
could use. I always contact web persons, or the company who is offering the
courses I am taking, because I want them to be aware of my issues and be
able to fix them. Some are willing, but most are not. We have a problem and
it needs to be fixed.
Thanks
Lauren Merryfield
Blessings, in Jesus' name; KJV
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in
heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and,
lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
My digital evangelism blog is at:
W w w . ask in jesus name . org
My latest book, in audio format, can be found at:
W w w . audible . com
(take out the spaces to go to these sites)