[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Screen Readers and Federal Employees

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Fri Jan 16 15:31:54 UTC 2015

From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of by way of David Andrews <dandrews--- via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:44 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Screen Readers and Federal Employees

Announcement

Dear NFB Members:

In the Private Sector, between 2002 through 2006,  the U.S. Equal Employment
Opportunity represent6d Dale Alton, a blind job applicant who was
discriminated against by a potential employer, EchoStar Communications Corp
located in Denver Colorado. EEOC's expert witness informed the jury that
with the
help of JAWS the blind can learn to read four hundred times
faster than normally sighted person.  The jur;y awarded Dale Alton an eight
million dollar verdict and EEPC provided support
to EchoStar Communications Corp. to install Jaws on its computer system.
With certainty EEOC' representation resulted in a landmark legal precedent
that Sreen Readers in particular JAWS is an "effective" reasonable
accommodation for blind employees.

However, in the Public Sector, I would like to hear from you about
screen readers in federal, state, county, and city government.

Did the particular Screen Reader that you requested work with the government
issued computer and its intranet?

Did you encounter technical difficulties?

If so, were the technical difficulties fixed?

Did EEOC provide technical support to the
government employer as it did to EchoStar
Communications Corp.?

I want to hear from NFB Members, please
tell me all about your Screen Readers and
government employment experiences.

Thank you,

Carin Memm
(818) 593-9938