[Nfbc-info] Accessing audio description at AMC Theaters

Michael S. Nunez michael.steven.n at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 23:25:30 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

Disability Rights Advocates and my firm, Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld,
are investigating complaints from blind individuals who have been
unable to use audio description services at American Multi-Cinema,
Inc. (“AMC”) movie theaters. We would appreciate speaking with legally
blind individuals who have encountered problems when attempting to use
audio description services at AMC theaters.

For those who aren't familiar with audio description, "audio
description" refers to recorded audio that provides synchronized
descriptions of a movie’s key visual details during natural pauses in
dialog during the movie. Audio description is also sometimes referred
to as "video description" or "descriptive video." Many popular films
are released with the audio description feature. Movie theaters
provide access to audio description by issuing wireless handsets and
headphones that play the audio description track during the movie.
This configuration allows customers to listen to both the dialog and
sound effects in a movie and descriptions of the visual aspects of the
film.

If you have been unable to access audio description services at AMC
theaters because the audio description equipment was malfunctioning,
because AMC staff did not know how to configure the audio description
equipment, or for any other reason, we would appreciate speaking with
you about your experiences. To share your experiences, please contact
Charlotte Landes by phone at (415) 433-6830 or by e-mail at
Clandes at rbgg.com or Rachel Terrell-Perica by phone at (510) 665-8644
or by email at rterrell-perica at dralegal.org.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to seeing you at the upcoming
state convention.

Best,
Michael

--