[Nfbc-info] safety concern for service dog on para transit bus

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Tue Oct 20 04:51:38 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I'm seeking  to better understand disability law requirements concerning the
safety of service dogs while riding para transit busses.

Very recently there was no room on the para transit bus for my service dog,
that is, before I agreed to let my dog lay in the isle. My dog slid around.
Luckily, the only person walking around was the driver.

When I sit in the second seat, on the right hand of the para transit bus,
there's nothing to prevent my dog from sliding forward and under the seat in
front of us. Directly across isle from the second seat that is behind the
driver. When the floor heater is not on the seating area is perfect because
my dog does not slide in any direction.

I know that para transit is required to secure wheel chairs and items such
as the push carts or suitcases. What would it take to create safety features
such as making a crate available. It would be secured. Or, making it so that
the service dogs could not slide forward under the seat? Also, is it lawful
to request seating which prevents the dog from sliding in any direction?

Also, why is it so that para transit provides most of their correspondence
in large print and fails to send letters via Email with OCR?

From,

Lisa Irving and Bernie