[Nfbc-info] Explore Mobility Canes.mp3

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Sep 20 06:22:34 UTC 2015

I guess I'll say I'm not very impressed with this mp3, but am willing to cheer on anybody who's really making strides in these areas.  More thoughts below.

All the technology discussed in the mp3 has been talked about before.  GPS, indoor mapping, facial recognition, and object recognition are all technologies that are being working on.  They're hard problems to solve and I cheer anyone on who's actually making progress. I'm really hoping these folks aren't just getting some free hype by talking about it in terms of bolting this technology onto a white cane.

Research has shown pretty clearly that a cane, or any platform that moves around a lot like glasses on your head, is a bad platform for artificial vision. much better wearing something around one's neck and shoulders or perhaps on the chest or abdomen.

I hope this brings some clarity here.

Jim