[Nfbc-info] Why I joined the NFB

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 21 17:02:56 UTC 2015

Great idea, Darian.  Let's break it down even more.
1.  What got you to a convention or meeting?
2.  What made you come back and commit to the movement?

Personally, I attended my first event when the national convention was in Chicago in '72.  Once there, I found people who were getting around the hotel and the city of Chicago without help.  I liked that.  It became a goal for me.

Then, when I moved to San Francisco, I met some blind bowlers who always attended monthly meetings.  They had a bus which was donated and a driver who donated her time which picked up people starting at about 6:00 P.M. and we got to the meeting by 7:00.  The bus trip was always fun and people introduced themselves and made sure that new people got to where they needed to be.
We met at the American Red Cross building in SF.  There was a man at the door to greet and seat everybody.  Especially the new ones.  His name was Muzzy Marcelino.  He asked me to write down my name on his slate and stylus.  I managed to do that but it was the first time I ever saw anyone actually use one of those things.
The topic was what made me go back.  They had just finished a state convention and were all up in arms about United Airlines because the "Fresno Six" were not allowed to fly on the same plane.  United wanted to put the Federationists on different flights.
Do I have to tell you that did not go over well at all.  In that group was the national Treasurer, (Muzzy Marcelino) the First Vice-President of NFBC, (Jim Willows), a young kid named Fred Schroeder and other leaders who I don't remember.
It impressed me since it was the 70's and these blind people were sticking up for themselves.  "Power to the People" and all that.
I can't say that I have never missed a convention since but I certainly can say that from that time on I knew that these were the kind of people I wanted to be around and learn from.

Everyone who reads this message should take my reminacing to heart and attend the convention of the National Federation of the Blind of California on October 30, 31 and November 1 at the Doubletree Hotel in Newark.  This is where you will meet the movers and shakers.  We will teach each other the truth about being blind and when the work is done, we will have a heck of a lot of fun.
Go to  www.sixdots.org  to register.

Sincerely,
Mary Willows

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.
You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)
3934 Kern Court
Pleasanton, CA 94588
925-462-8575

Thank you,