[Nfbc-info] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett: Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Chela Robles cdrobles693 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:40:22 UTC 2015

FYI Great News!

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind
Date: 	Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:15:09 -0500
From: 	Danielsen, Chris via Nfbnet-members-list
<nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
To: 	nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
*
*CONTACT:
*
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

*National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett
/
Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities
/*

*Baltimore, Maryland (September 22, 2015):* The National Federation of
the Blind <http://www.nfb.org> applauds Senator Michael Bennett (D-CO)
for cosponsoring the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment (TIME) Act (S. 2001). Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) introduced
this legislation
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-legislation-integrate-workers-disabilities>
to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, in order to
incentivize the transitioning of workers with disabilities into
integrated, meaningful employment, and to phase out the discriminatory
practice of paying workers with disabilities as little as pennies per
hour. Senator Bennett is the first cosponsor of Senator Ayotte’s
legislation. Companion legislation has also been introduced in the House
of Representatives by Representative Gregg Harper (R-MS) as H.R. 188 and
has forty-four cosponsors.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>, said: “The
National Federation of the Blind and our partners representing the
fifty-five million Americans with disabilities know that low
expectations, not disability, are the true barriers that prevent people
with disabilities from living the lives we want. We applaud Senator
Bennett for joining his colleague from across the aisle in recognizing
that current segregated employment practices are based on over
seventy-five years of entrenched but false thinking about the capacity
of people with disabilities. We strongly urge his colleagues in both
houses of the United States Congress to work in the same bipartisan
spirit and support this legislation, thereby embracing a future in which
the next generation of workers with disabilities, including my two young
daughters, enter the workforce without the discriminatory presumptions
that exist today, and in which these workers are able to achieve their
full potential in the workplace and beyond.”

*###
*

*About the National Federation of the Blind

*

blindness is not what holds you back.