[Nfbc-info] bus stop announcements

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 01:14:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

Perhaps some of you have had an experience, or multiple experiences, where
you have requested that the bus driver call out a particular stop and either
the announcement wasn't discernable or the transit operator forgot. If you
live in a major city them maybe some or all of the bus stop announcements
are automated. In San Diego we have a combination of some automated
announcements; ADA stops, and some stops called out by bus drivers when
requested. Maybe you count stops. This works if the bus stops at all of the
stops. Maybe you ask a passenger. This works if that person shares a common
language with you. Maybe, most of the time, it's no big deal if you're let
off at the stop before or after your stop. However, all of these variables
can be problematic at one time or another.

When 27 years of group advocacy; letter writing; participating in public
meetings and meeting with administration hasn't resolved the issue then
what's left? I wrote a resolution which was passed by the California
affiliate, however, it appears as though it has not been acted upon. I
really don't know what else to do. I'd appreciate your thoughts. I'd also
appreciate it if we as an affiliate could address this issue that likely
occurs up and down the state. Your thoughts???

From,

Lisa Irving