[Nfbc-info] Resolutions

Charles Krugman ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 22 06:29:48 UTC 2016

has anyone ever explored the inaccessibility of the California Lottery games
and web site and the lack of privacy for blind people to play lottery games
and determine winnings? The kiosks are not accessible for a blind person to
use independently. Lottery tickets are made in such a way that they are not
recognized on a computer when OCR software is used so they can't be
duplicated. Consider the potential scenario of a blind person purchasing a
large ticket that is a winner, presenting it to a store clerk for
verification and being told that it is not when it actually is and the blind
winner might throw away his/her chances based on the clerk's information and
the hypothetical clerk keeps the ticket. I realize that most clerks are
honest but I think it might be time to take accessibility to this new level
since it is a state administered program although contracted with a private
company.  I am told that lottery players in Michigan can purchase tickets
using the Michigan Lottery web site. Perhaps time to draft a resolution
addressing this issue.
Chuck