[Nfbc-info] Blind man dead after being struck by car in northeast Fresno

Charles Krugman ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 31 06:13:15 UTC 2016

sad news about one of our former Fresno chapter members. Gary may have attended some state conventions several years ago.
Chuck

Blind man dead after being struck by car in Northeast Fresno

The 72-year-old man walked several times a day even though he was totally blind and some neighbors said it was only a matter of time. (KFSN)

By    Gene Haagenson

Friday, August 26, 2016 09:06PM

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --
A blind man known to in the street was struck by a car and killed Friday morning.

Neighbors tell Action News it was only a matter of time. The accident occurred at the intersection of Maple Avenues and Saint Andrew Street in northeast Fresno, shortly after 5 a.m. this morning. The victim was an older man, known to neighbors as "The Walker."

It's shaken up the residents around who saw 72-year-old Gurbakhsh Chauhan, also known as Gary Singh, walk every day. He walked several times a day even though he was totally blind.

He sometimes walked with friends, or with his wife, but was often alone as they believe he was Friday.

The driver was heading southbound to work and did not see him in the middle of the intersection and struck him. He hit the windshield then landed on the roadway. Those who knew him, like his neighbor Ron Loforti were shocked and saddened but not surprised.

"People were always concerned about him because he always walked in the street," Loforti said. "He didn't walk on the sidewalk he felt safer because he didn't have to worry about the curbs but we would watch people come home and they would make the turn and I would just thank God Gary wasn't walking at the time he would have been run over."

The accident occurred at 5:09 a.m., an hour and 20 minutes before sunrise. While the driver stopped and is cooperating with police an investigation is still underway.

"The cause is under investigation," Lt. Joe Gomez with the Fresno Police Department said. "We are trying to figure out how she didn't see him in the middle of the roadway. So, the investigators have to look at the lighting, what it's like at that time."

Related Topics:
news pedestrian struck traffic fatalities fresno Fresno - Northeast

http://abc30.com/news/pedestrian-killed-in-northeast-fresno/1485998/