[Nfbc-info] LightHouse Job Opening - Holman Fellow Submissions Coordinator

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org
Tue Dec 20 18:56:31 UTC 2016

Holman Fellow Submissions Coordinator

POSITION:                Holman Fellow - Submissions Coordinator

REPORTS TO:         Director of Development (or their designee)

STATUS:                   Part-time, temporary employment

JOB PURPOSE:

In 2017, the LightHouse for the Blind in San Francisco will unveil a bold, unprecedented prospect for our global visually impaired community: The Holman Prize for Blind Adventurers, Environmentalists and Scholars. The prize will provide financial backing for a number of individuals who are blind or have low vision to explore the world, become connoisseurs of their environment and reach heights that may have seemed previously unattainable. Applications will be open to the blind and visually impaired public around the world, and on an annual basis, Holman finalists will be given an opportunity to vie for the complete financial backing of the project of their dreams.

As such, we need whip-smart, socially minded, creative individuals to assist in the overall submissions process. Whether your background is in academic admissions, general scholarship, nonprofit projects, media and publication, or any other field that might apply to the Holman Prize, we want to find the perfect candidate to guide us through the submissions process. The Holman Prize's inaugural year is sure to be a rollercoaster - one with significant challenges, puzzles, and barriers - but we envision these challenges paying dividends, not only for the applicant but for the lives that will be effected and elevated by this high-profile event.

All Holman Fellows will be part-time, temporary employees of LightHouse for the Blind, and will report to the appropriate Holman Prize contact within the LightHouse's Development Department. For detailed roles and duties, see below.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Education or equivalent: College degree or comparable experience.

Experience:

  *   Two years of work experience in related field
  *   Ability and comfort working with diverse populations and overcoming barriers such as language and cultural norms
  *   Nuanced understanding of blindness and disability or demonstrated ability to learn
  *   Pluses: proficiency on MailChimp and SquareSpace, event coordination, multi-lingual, familiarity with blindness

Other:

  *   Meticulously organized with established systems for managing large volumes of information
  *   Patience and grace when working with people
  *   Tech savvy
  *   Proven ability to grow and run social media campaigns
  *   Creative thinker, problem solver and researcher
  *   Sound judgement and collaborative attitude
  *   Passion for environment, travel and education

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:

Able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; move 20lbs independently.

ACCOUNTABILITIES:

  *   Keep mailing lists, records, videos and all other submissions materials current, organized and up-to-date.
  *   Promote promising pitches, flag inappropriate content and make weekly presentations on state of the process.
  *   Serve as liaison to the international blindness community and troubleshoot issues with access, technology and language barriers.
  *   Build excitement in the blindness community and general public about this exciting and unprecedented initiative.
  *   Manage social media - Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.
  *   Participate in the selection process.
  *   Research and recruit Holman committee members and applicants
  *   Investigate and report fraudulent applications.

WORKING CONDITIONS:

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all.  We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. We also operate under a mutual "employment at will" policy.

TO APPLY:

Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to hr at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:hr at lighthouse-sf.org>, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest. Thanks for your understanding.

Make a difference in the lives of blind people everywhere. Donate now to support the learning, community and confidence-building of the LightHouse.<http://lighthouse-sf.org/donate/form>