[Nfbc-info] changing what it means to be blind also includes changing phraseology

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Thu Feb 11 19:02:07 UTC 2016

Good job Lisa.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbc-info [mailto:nfbc-info-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Lisa
Irving via Nfbc-info
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:59 AM
To: 'NFB of California List' <nfbc-info at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Lisa Irving <peacefulwoman89 at cox.net>
Subject: [Nfbc-info] changing what it means to be blind also includes
changing phraseology

Hello All:

Recently, I posted the link to an article written by Disability Rights
Advocacy (DRA) and "the other" organization for the blind. The article
described positive changes to access to Kaiser services. After reading the
article I contacted one of the attorneys who is connected to the structured
settlement. I brought to her attention some phraseology, "persons with
vision loss" and similar wording. I explained why using these types of
phrases and wording perpetuated misconceptions about what it means to be
blind. The attorney sent me a letter this morning letting me know that DRA
and "the other" organization agreed to change some of the wording in the
article. Yes, changing what it means to be blind also includes educating
disability rights organizations and persuading other organizations assisting
blind individuals.

From,

Lisa Irving