[Nfbc-info] [Nfbnet-members-list] Print to Braille in Seconds: HumanWare Partners with KNFB Reader, LLC and National Federation of the Blind

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Jul 25 19:56:45 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

CONTACT:
Nicolas Lagacé
Marketing Communications Manager
HumanWare
(888) 723-7273
Nicolas.Lagace at humanware.com <mailto:Nicolas.Lagace at humanware.com>

Print to Braille in Seconds:
HumanWare Partners with KNFB Reader, LLC and National Federation of the
Blind

Longueuil, Quebec, and Baltimore, Maryland (July 25, 2016): Nearly every
blind person encounters print material on a daily basis­whether it is a
paper handout in a classroom or meeting, inaccessible content on a screen,
or personal mail. In the past such situations would require the blind person
to ask for assistance and, often, to wait for that assistance. The launch of
KNFB Reader for smartphones forever changed the significance of receiving an
inaccessible piece of paper. Now a blind user can simply snap a picture
using their smartphone and have the print read to the user in seconds.

HumanWare, KNFB Reader, LLC (KNFB), and the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB) have taken instant access to print content even further. Both
HumanWare and NFB have always been primary advocates of Braille literacy and
share the belief that Braille literacy is directly related to success in
employment. Building from this belief, along with a desire to empower blind
people with a tool that can turn print into Braille in seconds, HumanWare,
KNFB, and the NFB have partnered together to offer the KNFB Reader as a
freely included app on the BrailleNote Touch.

“Someone once told me they dreamt of a world where all print material could
instantly be replaced with Braille. Today, with this partnership, we are
making that dream a reality,” said Greg Stilson, HumanWare’s Product Manager
of Blindness Products.

This March HumanWare launched the BrailleNote Touch, the most powerful
Braille productivity tool ever built. The first and only Google-certified
Braille tablet, the BrailleNote Touch combines the efficiency and simplicity
of a traditional Braille notetaker with the power and open mainstream apps
of an Android tablet. Equipped with a customized touch surface or optional
Braille keyboard, a built-in Braille display, and an 8-megapixel camera, the
combination of the BrailleNote Touch and the KNFB Reader is a natural
marriage.

“As an organization that strives every day to raise expectations for the
blind, the National Federation of the Blind applauds the work HumanWare and
Google have done to create an innovative product that breaks down the
traditional barriers using assistive technology. It was only fitting to
empower this technology with the best print recognition tool, and we are
excited that BrailleNote Touch users will immediately have access to the
KNFB Reader,” said Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation
of the Blind.

HumanWare is aiming to include KNFB Reader in a free BrailleNote Touch
update this September. All existing BrailleNote Touch users will receive a
notification on their device when this update becomes available and can
initiate the wireless update immediately.

###

For over 25 years, HumanWare’s inspirational vision has resulted in a range
of highly intuitive and intelligent solutions that empower people who are
blind or with low vision by giving them the independence to participate
effectively within a sighted world. From advanced Braille products and
electronic magnifiers to digital talking book players and beyond, our tools
help end-users to live independently and compete effectively in today’s
world.

For more information about HumanWare and the BrailleNote Touch, please
visit: www.humanware.com <http://www.humanware.com> .

blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind, please
visit: www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org> .

To learn more about the KNFB Reader, please visit:
http://www.knfbreader.com.