[Nfbc-info] Summer Concerts: Blind Music Academy Announces Three Concert Dates in August

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired lhnews at lighthouse-sf.org
Tue Jul 26 21:46:15 UTC 2016

Blind Music Academy Offering Free Concerts in August

In its third year, LightHouse's summer Music Academy grows and expands. With an emphasis on composition, performance and learning to read and write music in braille for musicians who are blind or have low vision and are ages 16 to 24, our talent pool and ambition continues to grow. This year we're excited to host students from the United States, Mexico and Canada. And with the opening in May of the LightHouse's state-of-the-art San Francisco facility, Blind Music Academy will now be held both in the city and the country.

Each year Blind Music Academy culminates with a performance by our blind students, and this time around the group has announced that they will perform not once but three times, with additional concerts in both downtown Napa and San Francisco. Experience the power of Music Academy by joining us at one of these three, free concerts:

Blind Music Academy Summer Tour Dates

Friday, August 5 - Covenant Presbyterian Church, 7:30 p.m.
1226 Salvador Ave, Napa, CA 94558

Saturday, August 6 - Enchanted Hills Camp, 4:00 p.m., with dinner following.
3410 Mt Veeder Rd, Napa, CA 94558

Tuesday, August 9 - LightHouse for the Blind, 5:30 p.m., with reception following.
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco 94103

Each concert is free. For those attending the concert at Enchanted Hills Camp, we are requesting a donation if you wish to join us for dinner after the show. Please RSVP for all concerts to Tony Fletcher at tfletcher at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:tfletcher at lighthouse-sf.org>.

About Blind Music Academy
Enchanted Hills Camp has paired up with Bill McCann, founder and president of Dancing Dots Braille Music Technology. Bill McCann pioneered this specialized music academy model both in Canada and in the United States. Music Academy is for musicians who are blind or have low vision between the ages of 16 to 24 years old who are serious about music or might be thinking of entering the profession. This academy introduces students to using non-visual techniques to compose music, read the works of others, learn performance skills and gain the capacity to compete for and win employment in the music field.

This year's Music Academy session is full. If you have questions about next year's session, please contact Taccarra Burrell at tburrell at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:tburrell at lighthouse-sf.org> or 415-694-7318.

Visit the LightHouse for the Blind's new headquarters at 1155 Market Street, 10th Floor. Check out our store, Adaptations, experience the new facility designed by and for people who are blind and learn about all of our programs and resources for people who are blind or have low vision.