[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: [NFBWNews] Fwd: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Reaching Out to People with Diabetes

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon May 2 19:36:09 UTC 2016

Dear Fellow Federationists:

According to the American Diabetes Association, approximately thirty million Americans are living with diabetes. Of the complications caused by this disease, blindness is one of the most common. We highlight this fact because this quarter, we have been focusing on reaching out to potential new members through our connections within the healthcare community. Other than eye doctors, endocrinologists are the medical professionals who are closest to knowing blind people who might join the National Federation of the Blind. In addition to these doctors, support groups for people with diabetes are a great place to share information about the Federation. One thing you might try is to get a group of chapter members together to speak at a diabetes support group.

Remember that in addition to the brochures, Kernel Books, and alphabet cards you can order from the Independence Market, We have a collection of resources specifically for people with diabetes available on our website. <https://nfb.org/literature-diabetes>

As always, we’d love to hear about your chapters' activities. Feel free to share them with us on Twitter and on Facebook. Let’s go build the Federation!

Danielle Trevino

Coordinator for Social Media and Member Engagement

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

  Baltimore, MD 21230

P: (410) 659-9314, Extension 2358