[Nfbc-info] heartfelt plea on behalf of an NLS narrator

nancy Lynn seabreeze.stl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:27:32 UTC 2016

I got this from several lists and hope you’ll be willing to help this fine narrator.
Since many of you know Martha Harmon Pardee through the NLS program and the recent 2016 ACB convention, I wanted to ask if the following message from Martha, could be posted to the ACB list as a plea to all NLS patrons. She sent this to me on 11-21-2016 and I hope that the ACB list will proudly serve as her nationwide voice platform to rally all her talking book fans to action.

Hi friends,

Please excuse the group/impersonal nature of this text, but I'm reaching out in all humility with a request from folks like you who have been so encouraging over the years.

I won't bore you with all of the sordid details, but last week, as a result of just feeling misunderstood and extremely frustrated, I resigned as a narrator.  It was an impetuous and regretful decision made in the heat of passion and I regretted it almost immediately.

Within days, I asked the owner of the studio from my job back. I explained that the thought of not having a relationship with people like you was too much for me to contemplate. I have spent just three years short of half of my life narrating audio books for NLS.  I love it and I love you and I want to keep doing it.

So the favor I'm asking, right before a very busy weekend, is if you feel so inclined to write to our head of human resources here and express your desire for me to be kept on as a narrator, I would really appreciate it. Also, if you wouldn't mind forwarding this request to anyone else who might be in support of my employment.

Melissa Savage is our human resource person and her email address is msavage.tbpi at gmail.com

My hope is that positive words from the people who matter most in this operation, which is to say all of you, might help Mr. Gregg Savage to forgive me my outburst and allow me to continue doing the work I love.

Your humble servant,

Martha Harmon Pardee