[Nfbc-info] Invitation

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Thu Oct 13 02:54:56 UTC 2016

Dear Fellow Federationists:
	Please join us, the National Federation of the Blind of Nevada, at our state convention November 11 through the 13 in Reno Nevada at the Grand Sierra Resort. We have an action pact agenda, which is attached, and pasted below, for your convenience. We always love to visit with our Federation Family and nothing means home like Nevada.
Respectfully yours,
Michael Ausbun, Vice President
National Federation of the Blind of Nevada

National Federation of the Blind of Nevada
2016 Annual State Convention
November 11 – November 13
Grand Sierra Resort
2500 East 2nd Street
Reno, NV 89595
775-789-2000

NFB OF NEVADA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President:	Kimie Beverly

Vice President:	Michael Ausbun

Secretary:	Frida Aizenman

Treasurer:	Chun Chao

Board Member I:	Shaetonna Jackson

Board Member II:	Thomas Kearns

Board Member III:	Dora Uchel

2016 National Representative:	National President, Mark Riccobono

THE 2016 CONVENTION COMMITTEE
Terri Rupp, Michael Ausbun, Sarah Alawami, Chun Chao, Kimie Beverly, Frida Aizenman, Amanda Bolton, and Thomas Kearns

EXHIBITORS
A.T. Guys and Blindfold Games

SPECIAL THANKS
The Grand Sierra Resort staff, all of our speakers, guests, Federation friends, family, and National President Mark Riccobono.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2016

CONVENTION REGISTRATION	1:00PM - 5:00PM
Located just outside of the McKinley Room
Convention Registration $10.00
Banquet Ticket $40.00
Membership Dues $10.00

NABS ANNUAL MEETING	3:00PM - 5:00PM
(Nevada Association of Blind Students)
McKinley Room
Michael Ausbun, NFB of Nevada Vice President and National Association of Blind Students Secretary, will lead us in the reorganization of the Nevada Association of Blind Students. Presenting are Past and present NABS Board Members along with our NFB National President, Mark Riccobono.

RESOLUTION MEETING	5:00PM - 6:00PM
McKinley Room
Policies and Procedures of the Organization begin here at the Resolutions Meeting.

NFB OF NEVADA BOARD MEETING (open to all)	6:00PM - 7:00PM
McKinley Room
Everyone is welcome to attend the board meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of Nevada.

ACCESSIBLE FAMILY GAME NIGHT	7:00PM - 9:00PM
Family Hospitality Suite
Hosted by the Nevada Organization of Parents of Blind Children, $10.00 gets you snacks, refreshments, and a fantastic couple hours of competitive fun with accessible games. Contact Terri Rupp at 702-524-0835 for the Family Hospitality Suite location.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2016

CONVENTION REGISTRATION (last chance)	7:00AM - 9:00AM
Located just outside of Sierra 2
Convention Registration $10.00
Banquet Ticket $40.00
Membership Dues $10.00

COMMENCEMENT	9:00AM - 9:30AM
Sierra 2
 Welcome to the 2016 National Federation of the Blind of Nevada State Convention. Led by Terri Rupp, Convention Chair, please join us as we honor our great nation and Federation leaders with an invocation, the National Anthem, Pledge of Allegiance, and NFB Pledge.

NFB NATIONAL REPORT	9:30AM - 10:00AM
Sierra 2
National Federation of the Blind President, Mark Riccobono, reports on what’s happening across the nation in the National Federation of the Blind.

NFB OF NEVADA PRESIDENTIAL REPORT	10:00AM - 10:30AM
Sierra 2
NFB of Nevada President, Kimie Beverly, reports on what the state of Nevada has accomplished in the past year.

SERVING THE FEDERATION LOCALLY, NATIONALLY, AND BEYOND	10:30AM - 12:00PM
Sierra 2

NFB of Nevada Vice President, Michael Ausbun, shares his experience of serving the organization locally, as an intern at our National Center, and as a volunteer at the World Blind Union Conference.	10:30AM

Melissa Riccobono, First Lady of the National Federation of the Blind, a blind parent, and www.blindparents.org head contact for the Parents of Blind Children.	10:50AM

Christella Garcia, licensed Massage Therapist by trade, and Bronze Paralympic Metal Winner in the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.	11:10AM

Will Geddes from the Geddes Law Firm	11:30AM-11:50: Employment Discrimination: The INS and outs of title one of the Americans with Disabilities Act

Announcements, Questions, and Answers	11:50AM

LUNCH BREAK (on your own)	12:00PM - 2:00PM
Exhibitors A.T. Guys and Blindfold Games will be available just outside of the meeting room during lunch break.

NOPBC AROUND THE TABLE DISCUSSION LUNCH	12:30PM - 1:30PM
(Nevada Organization of Parents of Blind Children)
Family Hospitality Suite
Join parents of blind children in a relaxed group discussion on all topics concerning raising blind children. $10.00 will get you pizza and refreshments.

SERVING THE FEDERATION LOCALLY, NATIONALLY, AND BEYOND (continued)	2:00PM - 4:00PM
Sierra 2

Assembly Woman, Amber Joiner, Committee on Education.	2:00PM
Question and Answer session	2:20PM

Mary Zabel, Director of Disability Resource Center, University of Nevada, Reno, and her colleague, Darrin McCarthy.	2:30PM
Question and Answer session	2:50PM

Nancy Denninger, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.	3:00PM
Question and Answer session	3:20PM

Jennifer Kennedy NOMCT, graduate of the Louisiana Tech Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness, “A Method to the Madness”, and Bre Brown, Louisiana Center for the Blind Alumni, National Association of Blind Students First Vice President, “Never Too Soon for Training.”	3:30PM
Question and Answer session	3:50PM

BRIDGES AND BELLS PANEL	4:00PM - 4:50PM
Sierra 2

Lisa Bonie, Executive Director of the Northern Nevada Center for Independent Living, discusses the importance of building bridges in the community.	4:00PM
Helen McCoy, Nevada BELL Academy Co-coordinator discusses our upcoming BELL (Braille Enrichment Learning and Literacy) Academy.	4:20PM
Question and Answer session	4:40PM

ANNOUNCEMENTS	4:50PM - 5:00PM
Sierra 2

ADJOURNMENT	5:00PM

MEET THE PRESIDENT MIXER	6:00PM - 7:00PM
Sierra 1 & 2
Meet NFB President Mark Riccobono, First Lady Melissa Riccobono, NFB of Nevada President Kimie Beverly, and mix and mingle with fellow federation members new and old while enjoying refreshments from the cash bar before the banquet.

BANQUET	7:00PM - 10:00PM
Sierra 1 & 2

Banquet Chair: Michael Ausbun

Keynote Address: National President, Mark Riccobono

Award Plaque presentation to Senator Heller for his support in the Space Available Bill, presented by Michael Ausbun, our Legislative Director.

Unity Scholarship Awards presented by Scholarship Committee Chair, Terri Rupp.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2016

NFB OF NEVADA BUSINESS SESSION	9:00AM - 12:00PM
Sierra 2

Treasurer’s Report, Chun Chao, NFB of Nevada State Treasurer	9:00AM

Affiliate Constitutional Amendments	9:20AM

Resolutions	9:40AM

Elections	10:00AM
The positions up for election are:
•	President
•	Secretary
•	Treasurer
•	Board Member I
•	Board Member III

Thank you for being a part of the 2016 National Federation of the Blind of Nevada State Convention. With love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.