[Nfbc-info] February Presidents Notebook

Joy Stigile joystigile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 05:59:09 UTC 2017

Dear Federationists,

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You Can Live The Life You Want.
Blindness is not what holds you back.

My sincere thanks to all of the members of the California Washington Seminar
Team for their dedication and commitment.

Starting January 30th the team will all be together at the Capitol Holiday
Inn in Washington, DC, gearing up to make our voices heard in the halls of
Congress.  Please discuss the legislative issues at your chapter meetings.
Each of you will be asked to make phone calls to our congressional members
after the Team returns from Washington DC.

The legislative issues are:

1.    AIM-HE.   Accessible instructional materials for higher education.

2.    The Library of Congress appropriations for the purpose of refreshable
braille devices.

3.    Access technology for Affordability Act

4.    The Marakesh Treaty Copyright Laws

Remember we must not limit our challenges but challenge our limits.

Ever Lee Hairston, President

National Federation of the Blind California

The Pathfinder Chapter is having their 6th annual Chapter Development
reception.  Come join us as we enjoy great food, drinks and door prizes
while listening to awesome speakers who will give you information about this
wonderful organization and how it has made a difference in their lives after
becoming a member.  Our Theme will be "Live the life you want".  The
reception will be held on February 16, Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon.
This wonderful event will be located at the WLCAC Senior Center, 10957 S.
Central Avenue Los Angeles, CA.., cross street 109th.  If you have any
questions please contact:  Michael Richardson Chapter Development
Chairperson 323. 898-3223 or email  <mailto:michaeljr66 at yahoo.com>
michaeljr66 at yahoo.com

Rochelle Houston, President Pathfinder Chapter

The River City and Shasta Cascade Chapters are excited to announce that they
will be holding a joint chapter meeting.  This will be a fun filled meeting
for chapter members of both groups where we can collaborate to discuss
co-events and fellowship with each other.  The joint meeting will be held on
February 11, Saturday, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  They will meet at the
State Capital in room 317, Sacramento.

   Austin Benevedes Update:  Please continue to pray for Austin, he is still
in a medically induced coma to help his recovery.  Shannon Dillon, Brooklyn
Rodden, and Tiffany Manosh visited the hospital after our January meeting.
After speaking with his family it is obvious that there are a lot of folks
believing in a full recovery for Austin.  There has been a fund set up for
Austin.  If you would like to help the family meet their goal of $20,000,
which right now is at $14,692.00, to support the fund please go to:

 <https://www.freefunder.com/campaign/Austin-support-fund>
https://www.freefunder.com/campaign/Austin-support-fund and click on Donate
Now.

Tiffany Manosh, President River City Chapter

The Escondido Chapter is having a pancake breakfast fund raiser on February
18 at the Applebee's Restaurant located at 1216 Auto Parkway in Escondido.
It will take place from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.  Tickets are $10 and must be
purchased in advance before February 12.  Since our fund raiser is being
held on the day our meeting usually takes place, we will be having our
meeting one week early on February 11, at the Casa Escondida, recreation
room of building B, 715 N. Broadway.  The meeting will be from 11:00 a.m. to
1:00 p.m.  For more information please call Yvette Lee 619-523-4733 or
Denise Bravell 760. 747-3466.

The Riverside San Bernardino Chapter will have their

2nd NFB Closet fundraiser. February 11, Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon.

Janet Goeske Center Riverside.  Magnifiers, glasses, clothes, and more!

Carmen Weatherly President Riverside/San Bernardino Chapter

The Davis Canes and Tails Chapter will meet on Wednesday, February 8 at the
Black Bear Diner in Davis. We will discuss the National Federation of the
Blind Legislative Agenda 2017, as well as make plans to meet with our
representative in the local office. We will also discuss a couple of Dine
and Donate fund raisers which one of our members has proposed.   So, if you
live in Yolo or Solano County, come join us at the Black Bear in Davis for
good fellowship, optimistic discussions, and as always, the best garlic
fries in town.

Angela Fowler President Canes and Tails Chapter

The California Association of Guide Dog Users will be meeting via conference
call on February 21, Tuesday, at 7:30 p.m. We will be discussing all things
guide dog. The most important issue we will be discussing is the Sun setting
of the California State Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind.  So please come
and join us!

Call 605. 475-4700 Pin 405682# (pound sign)

Tina Thomas President California Association of Guide Dog Users

The Membership At Large Chapter held elections on January 12, Thursday.  The
membership elected a new board of officers.  The new officers are as
follows:  Allison Depner President, Mike Hingson Vice-President and
Karmalynne Rios Secretary/Treasurer.  We are all excited to begin working
together and are looking forward to beginning some new projects.  Our next
meeting will take place on February 9, Thursday at 7:00 p.m.  Conference
call details are as follows:

712. 432-0175 Pass Code 184220# (pound sign)

We invite anyone who cannot attend local chapter meetings to join us.

Allison Depner President Membership At-Large Chapter

The California Association of Blind Students (CABS) will be hosting their
quarterly student call on February 19, Sunday at 3:00 p.m.  Our guest
speaker will be Callie Frye from Disability Rights California (DRC).  She
will be discussing the services DRC provides. Any students are welcome to
join the call whether current CABS members or not.  We will also be
discussing the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship program and
application process.

The call in information is as follows:

712. 432-0385 access code 958093# (pound sign)

Carla Scroggins President California Association of Blind Students