[Nfbc-info] Oppose AB 1705: updated letter to Senators and Consultants

Shannon Dillon shannonldillon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:15:13 UTC 2017

Good afternoon,

I made a couple minor changes to the letter I sent the other day.  i
corrected errors; the changes are not substantive. If you have not
sent emails or letters, please use this version.

The NFBCA and California Association of Guide Dog Users have been
working on sun setting the California State Board of Guide Dogs for
the Blind for a few years now.  In 2015, at our state convention, we
passed a resolution to take steps to sunset the board. We made some
significant progress lessening the jurisdiction of the board last
year.  However, we have more work to do to sunset the board.

The author of the bill is still convinced blind consumers need
protection from the Board, even though the Board does not protect
blind consumers, and consumers from NFBCA and CCB, and the
representatives of Guide Dogs for the Blind are telling the author the
Board doesn’t protect consumers. Help get the word out that the Board
is not protecting consumers, it places hurdles because users and their
schools, and we want the Board to sunset.

Previously we sent letters to Assembly members. Now our fight has
moved to the Senate so I’m asking for everyone to send letters and
make calls to senators on the Senate Business, professions, and
Economic Development Committee. Please send them by July 3. You can
send one letter. Address it to the Chair of the Committee, Jerry Hill
and CC everyone else. You can also email the letter to Chief
Consultant Bill Gage and Consultant Elissa Silva who are consultants
to the Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development
Committee. A sample is attached.

For those who can't attend hearings, please write letters and make
phone calls. The next hearing will be held on July 10 in Sacramento at
the State Capitol.

For more information, please see the attached sample letter which can
be used for talking points.

Here is the contact information for Senators on the Business,
Professions and Economic Development Committee, as well as Bill Gage
and Elissa Silva.

Members of the Senate Committee on Business, Professions and Economic
Development

 Jerry Hill (chair)
 Capitol Office

 State Capitol, Room 5035