[Nfbc-info] April President Notebook

Joy Stigile joystigile at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 04:02:47 UTC 2017

NFB President's Notebook April 2017

Greetings Federationists,

One of the most important ways to strengthen our members is by attending a
national convention.

National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
National Convention 2017

When:

Monday, July 10-Saturday, July 15, 2017

Where:

Rosen Shingle Creek Resort
9939 Universal Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32819-9357

Preregistration:

Preregistration is now open. When purchased online by May 31st, the
preregistration fee for convention is $25 ($30 on-site) and the cost of a
banquet ticket is $60 ($65 on-site).

For 2017 convention room reservations you can call the hotel at (866)
996-6338.

 Reminder:

Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

Who is eligible?

Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an NFB
national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?

1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local NFB
information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this is a
good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.

2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request his or
her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to expect
your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state president. He
or she must add a president's recommendation and then email both letters
directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Committee. Your
president must forward the two letters no later than April 15.

Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

*         Your full name, and all your telephone numbers and label them-cell
phone, home, office, other person (if any).

*         Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.

*         Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter
president, if you attend a chapter.

*         Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone
number.

*         Your specific request:

Explain how much money you need from this fund to make this trip possible
for you. We suggest you consult with other members to make a rough budget
for yourself.

The body of your letter should answer these questions:

How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want to
attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share or
give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special
circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

2017 National Convention Grants

The National Federation of the Blind of California affiliate will be
awarding 10  2017 convention grants to first-time attendees.  To apply you
must be a member of the NFB of California.  You are required to write a
letter via email stating why you would like to attend the convention and how
it might benefit you.  All requests must be received no later than May 1,
2017 to Ever Lee Hairston, President, National Federation of the Blind of
California.

 <mailto:Ever.hairston at gmail.com> Ever.hairston at gmail.com

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind.  Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

I look forward to visiting with each of you at the National Convention.

Sincerely,

Ever Lee Hairston, President

O:  818.217.8330

H:  323.654.2975

 <mailto:ever.hairston at gmail.com> ever.hairston at gmail.com

---------------------------*************************************************
***********************************

San Francisco Chapter

The chapter is again organizing a group to participate in the world-famous
Bay to Breakers foot race.  For those who aren't aware, San Francisco's Bay
to Breakers is an annual footrace that has run continuously for over 100
years as a staple to the City by the Bay.  With a starting point near the
San Francisco Bay, a few blocks from The Embarcadero, the 12K race runs west
through the city and finishes at the Great Highway where breakers crash onto
the Pacific Coast's Ocean Beach.  The 2017 edition will take place on
Sunday, May 21st.

Participants dress up in creative costumes and run/walk a 12 km course
through the city.  For fun, some participants bind themselves together in
what is known as a "centipede," and dress up in a creative theme.  Examples
include runners with chairs strapped to their backs pretending to be a
roller coaster, runners holding cardboard cut-outs painted as a MINI bus,
and other similar themes.

Please see below for details because we have limited spots at the discounted
price point.  First to pay will receive priority.

Last year, we built a harness contraption made of nimble plastic pipes and
hoses that allows a group of blind people to all move together in perfect
synchronicity through the race course.  It was a fun and informative example
of what blind people can do when we work together and apply a little bit of
ingenuity.  We received several press interviews about our group and,
notwithstanding the many other odd spectacles at the event, still received
much attention for our movement.  We also made cool t-shirts sporting our
centipede spirit.

Runners and walkers of all speeds and abilities are welcome.  We move at a
pace that works for everyone.

Here's what you need to know to join the centipede.

When: Sunday, May 21, 2017 starting at 8:00 AM. We will grab lunch together
near the finish line festival after the race, but, folks can leave any time
after we cross the finish line.

Where: The starting line is at Main St. & Howard St., San Francisco, CA
94105 (a few blocks from The Embarcadero), and the finish line is at the
Ocean Beach Parking Lot, Great Highway [B/W JFK Dr. & Lincoln Way], San
Francisco, CA 94122.  BART runs special early trains on that Sunday to
accommodate the event.

Cost: $60.  Grants available for those who express need).  Your packet
includes the following benefits:

.Official Under Armor Runners' T

.Finisher Medal

.3-Month MapMyRun MVP Membership

.On-Course access to finish festival

How to Join: Bring $60 to the next San Francisco chapter meeting on Tuesday,
April 11 or PayPal money to:
<mailto:tim at timeldermusic.com%3cmailto:tim at timeldermusic.com>
tim at timeldermusic.com<mailto:tim at timeldermusic.com>

Along with your email address, phone number and t-shirt size/gender.  Those
seeking to participate in conjunction with the USABA LightHouse Fitness
Challenge should confirm with Serena Olsen at the San Francisco LightHouse.
<mailto:SOlsen at lighthouse-sf.org%3cmailto:SOlsen at lighthouse-sf.org>
SOlsen at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:SOlsen at lighthouse-sf.org> or (415) 431-1481.

We have limited spots in our centipede at this price point.  First to pay is
first to claim a spot.  All are free to join the group as an individual
tag-along, but you may need to register and pay for the more expensive
individual runner price.

In addition to your registration fee, I need the following from you.

Birth date:

Gender

Preferred shirt size:

Active email address:

Phone number:

Walking or running:

  The chapter will complete your registration and make arrangements for
picking up race packets.

The following individuals have committed to join the centipede thus far and
get priority if they provide the $60 to me at the next chapter meeting or
send it via PayPal.

Tim Elder

Christina Daniels

Jordyn Castor

Kit Lau

Amy Liu

We anticipate spots will fill fast given our partnership with the Fitness
Challenge activities going on through the Lighthouse.  Don't delay.  Join
today!

Tim Elder, President, San Francisco Chapter

Board-Member, National Federation of the Blind of California

*********

 San Fernando Valley Chapter

On April 1, Saturday the San Fernando Valley Chapter is having a fundraiser
at the Bob's Big Boy Restaurant for dinner and you can order anything on the
menu!

Time:  6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.

Where Bob's Big Boy Restaurant in Burbank

Address:  4211 West Riverside Drive, Burbank 91505

We will be selling gift certificates for $5, as a fundraiser for the
chapter, just buy as many as you need to pay for your dinner, tax and tip.

Contact Joy Stigile by March 29, Thursday night via email at:

 <mailto:joystigile at gmail.com> joystigile at gmail.com

The April 8 chapter meeting will be held from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Refreshments brought in by chapter members will be served at 9:30AM.

Robert Stigile, President, San Fernando Valley Chapter

Second Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of California

Escondido Chapter

On February 18 the Escondido Chapter held a pancake breakfast fundraiser at
Applebee's Restaurant and wishes to thank all those who attended.  With an
extra special "Thank You" to the Delta Gama Sorority for purchasing some of
the tickets and helping to serve the breakfasts!  It was a great success!
The chapter members will be planning another fundraiser in the very near
future.

Yvette Lee, President, Escondido Chapter

*******

Inland Empire Chapter

Cheryl Thurston was selected to serve on the Department of Rehabilitation
Blind Advisory Committee Board as the representative of the National
Federation of the Blind from Southern California.

During the week of March 27, 2017 members of the Advocacy Group of the
chapter went to each chapter members Congressional Representative to discuss
the issues that were taken to the Washington Seminar 2017 and to let them
know they are living in their district.

On April 8, 2017 the chapter members will be volunteering at Mount Sac
College 1100 N. Grand Ave. in Walnut, California for the Disability Sports
Fair from 9:00AM to 3:00PM.  The Chapter Scholarship Committee will have a
table at the fair and will be auctioning off gift baskets.

For more information in registering for the fair the website is
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/disability-athletics-faire-2017-registration-25
325919507>
www.eventbrite.com/e/disability-athletics-faire-2017-registration-2532591950
7

The chapter Scholarship Committee will hold a raffle for a Google Home Voice
Activated Assistant.  The drawing will be held on May 5, 2017, at the
Service Center for Independent Living, 107 Spring Street, Claremont,
California 91711

Winner need not be present, Tickets are $2 each.

Contact LaKenya Pitchford for tickets:  909.452.5498

The chapter Fundraising Committee will be selling a 16oz. Stainless Steel
Thermos and a carrying case.  The cost is $10.

Contact Trena Brown for tickets 323.836.4780

ED Davis contacted the City of Claremont Engineering Department to have them
come out and adjust the time on the Audible Signal Lights to give those that
are disabled enough time to cross the street at certain intersections
safely.

Norberto Capetillo decided to advocate for himself by contacting the City of
Montclair Engineering Department about placing Audible Signal Lights in his
area to help him cross intersections safely.  After several visits to the
city of Montclair they decided to place the Audible Signals in his area at
Central and Holt also at Central and San Bernardino Road.

Cheryl Thurston, President, Inland Empire Chapter

Pathfinder Chapter

Chapter members will be selling World's finest chocolate with almond bars
beginning at their March meeting.

On Saturday May 27, the Pathfinder Chapter will be hosting a karaoke night,
from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.  It will be held at the Hawthorne Moose Lodge,
located at 13212 Inglewood Ave, Hawthorne Ca 90250.  Dinner will be served.
Admission is $20.00 donation.

Please respond by May 20 to Janette Stewart c:  310.293.1053 Or Charlotte
Carroll c:  310.625.6558

Rochelle Houston, President, Pathfinder Chapter

Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of California

*

San Diego Chapter

February 28, chapter members attended the National Federation of the Blind
dinner get together at the California State University at Northridge (CSUN)
Conference in San Diego and welcomed the Baltimore team with a gift of a
flip-flop sandal-shaped refrigerator magnet.

On March 2 & 3, chapter members volunteered at the KNFB Booth during the
CSUN Conference.

March 2 and 3, Chapter member, Krishna Jariwala participated in an Aira
Smart Glasses presentation at the CSUN Conference.

Saturday March 11, seven members attended Congresswoman Davis's San Diego
State University Town Hall meeting.  Allison Depner, President

At-large Chapter, capsulated the Accessible Instructional Materials in
Higher Education (AIMHE) legislative initiative and asked the Congresswoman
to support the initiative. Chapter member and college student, Krishna
Jariwala summarized his barriers to textbooks. Loud gasps were heard all
over the audience when he told attendees how long he had waited for
materials and the ramifications for the unnecessary delays. Krishna ended
with, "I just want the same thing that you want, a fair education." The room
was filled with applause.

March 15, President Lisa Irving and Membership Recruitment Coordinator,
Nahrain Johnson-Spurlock, met with the Director of the San Diego State
University Disabled Student Services Program. The director invited our
chapter to reach out to the 21 blind college students.

Saturday April 8, monthly chapter meeting, 4330 30th Street San Diego 92104,
10:45 am to 1:00 pm.

April 11, Tuesday, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, Outreach event at San Diego State
University. Chapter members will serve pizza, tell their Federation story
and answer questions.

Friday April 14, follow-up outreach event, Game Night. Details will be
posted on our Facebook page. All are welcome.

Lisa Irving, President, San Diego Chapter

Joy Stigile, Editor