[Nfbc-info] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] Louisiana Center for the Blind Summer Youth Programs--STEP and Buddy, 2018

EverHairston ever.hairston at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 15:53:47 UTC 2018

Ever Lee Hairston, President
H: 323 654.2975
C: 323 252.9188
ever.hairston at gmail.com

You Can Live The Life You Want

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Guillory via NFBNet-Members-List <nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: January 31, 2018 at 5:51:22 PM PST
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Louisiana Center for the Blind Summer Youth Programs--STEP and Buddy, 2018

2018 SUMMER TRAINING & EMPLOYMENT PROJECT (STEP) Program
STRIVING FOR SUCCESS

Since 1985, the Louisiana Center for the Blind has been changing what it means to be blind for adults from across America. In 1990, a program was created to address the needs of blind high school students. The Summer Training and Employment Project (STEP) Program is designed to introduce blind teenagers to positive blind role models and to provide participants with summer work experience.

The eight-week summer program will consist of two components. During the first part of the program, competent blind counselors will instruct the students in the alternative techniques of blindness. Classes in Braille, cane travel, computer literacy, and daily living skills will be taught by qualified blind instructors. In addition, seminars will be conducted in the areas of job readiness, job interviewing skills, resume writing and job responsibilities. The second part of the program will continue all aspects of training and expand to include an employment dimension. Students will have the opportunity to participate in 40 hours of internship experience--for which they will receive the Federal minimum wage. Students will be introduced to a broad spectrum of career possibilities as they explore postsecondary options.
The combination of work experience and blindness-related skills--along with fun-filled activities such as cookouts, swimming, mall excursions, and various other outings--will foster self-confidence and independence in blind teens. From July 3-8, students will attend the national convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando, Florida. This exciting conference will allow them to meet thousands of competent blind people from across the country. The students will also have the chance to participate in a wide variety of informative seminars and youth-oriented social and other activities. At the close of the program, parents will be REQUIRED to attend a Parents’ Weekend which will enable them to discover how much their children have learned throughout the summer. The STEP program is designed to provide invaluable work experience, friendships, opportunities for personal growth, and cherished memories.

Training will begin June 10 and conclude August 4. We recognize that there may be some overlap between the start and/or conclusion of our program and school district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate with a student’s school district in this regard. Please visit www.louisianacenter.org to learn about more program specifics and to complete an application.
Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be granted enrollment, and applicants must have an open case with their state’s vocational rehabilitation agency or other funding entity to cover program costs.

Questions? Please call our Director of Youth Services, Eric Guillory at 800-234-4166 or email him at eguillory at louisianacenter.org. "Together, we are changing what it means to be blind." Check out STEP and find out how.

BUDDY PROGRAM 2018
Putting the Pieces Together

Come and join us for a summer of fun and learning!

Since 1989, the Louisiana Center for the Blind has offered an innovative summer program for blind children in grades four through eight. This summer, the Buddy Program promises to be full of learning opportunities, new friendships, and fun-filled activities.

Many blind children have misconceptions about their blindness due to the lack of positive role models and to the negative stereotypes about blindness in society. Unlike other summer programs for blind children, the Buddy Program is directed and staffed by competent blind adults. Classes in cane travel are taught to instill independence and self-confidence. The knowledge of Braille enables the blind child to compete on terms of equality with sighted peers in the classroom and provides a solid background in spelling and other grammatical skills. Classes in access technology expose students to available mainstream and adaptive solutions. Daily living skills instruction promotes equal participation in household duties such as cooking, shopping, and cleaning. In addition to learning valuable alternative techniques of blindness, children will enjoy participating in a wide variety of exciting activities such as swimming, camping, bowling, roller skating, and field trips.

The combination of hard work and fun activities will provide a rewarding experience that children will cherish. Involvement in the Buddy Program helps them realize that it is not blindness that holds them back. Rather, it is the negative attitudes and misconceptions about blindness that may prevent them from reaching their potential. At the close of the program, parents are REQUIRED to attend a Parents’ Weekend. This weekend will allow them to interact with other parents of blind children and to learn what their children have discovered about their blindness and themselves. Friendship, training, fun, growth and interaction between blind children and positive blind role models is how the Louisiana Center for the Blind is “changing what it means to be blind.”

The Louisiana Center for the Blind will sponsor one session of the Buddy Program in 2018. Program dates are July 15-August 4. We recognize that there may be some overlap between the conclusion of our program and school district dates. If accepted, we are happy to coordinate with a student’s school district in this regard.

Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work with your child this summer. We know it will be a memorable experience for both you and them. All interested families should visit www.louisianacenter.org for more details and to apply. Please also feel free to contact our Director of Youth Services, Eric Guillory before April 20. Please email Eric at eguillory at louisianacenter.org or call 800-234-4166.

Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be granted enrollment. Please note that the fee for students not from Louisiana is $1,000­which is all-inclusive save for transportation to and from the program. The fee for Louisiana students is $500.

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: ericguillory
Skype: brllovingdad
www.louisianacenter.org

“Together, we are changing what it means to be blind