[Nfbc-info] Presidents February Notebook

Joy Stigile joystigile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 19:58:29 UTC 2019

                Dear California Federation Family:

I'm back in the office after a successful time advocating in Washington D.C.
You sent an awesome delegation of blind representatives to instruct our
elected officials of the importance of our legislative priorities.  We
fought to make assistive technology more affordable, increase accessibility
of medical devices, exercise equipment and home appliances, and eliminate
exploitation of disabled workers in the AbilityOne government contracting
program.  With hundreds of other representatives from the Federation, our
collective presence on the Capitol made a massive statement that could not
be ignored.  I hope you will consider joining us next year.  The Washington
Seminar event is an awesome experience.  It is the heartbeat of our
organization.

It is now time to plan for our national convention in Las Vegas, July 7-12.
<https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>   All chapters should
hold registration and sign-up events in the months of February or March as
part of the chapter meeting agenda.  Computer-savvy chapter members can help
those who are still learning technology skills; leaders can educate new
members on the life-changing impact of attending your first national
convention.  Let's all help each other get hotel rooms, find roommates,
register for the convention and book travel.  put your chapter's imagination
and creative ingenuity to work and think of ways that folks might travel
together for fun and cost savings.  Take over a cheap Megabus or Southwest
trip; splurge on a stretch limo, or even commandeer a fleet of hot air
balloons.  As an example, Rochelle Houston and our chapters in the Los
Angeles area have found roundtrip bus tickets from Los Angeles for $30.  Can
you say "party bus?"  Let's make the hope and determination that is soon to
be in Vegas a reality for all blind Californians!

Tim Elder

President

president at nfbcal.org <mailto:president at nfbcal.org>

The Central Valley Chapter after their February 9 meeting, from 10:00 a.m.
to noon, will be having a National Convention pizza party social  event.
Several chapter members will be bringing their Lap Top Computers to help new
members apply for the Jernigan Grant.   The meeting  will be held at 1409 H
St., Modesto.

Rachel Grider, President, Central Valley Chapter

rachel.grider at gmail.com <mailto:rachel.grider at gmail.com>

The Bakersfield Chapter will be having a potluck dinner meeting. It is
Saturday, February 16, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The potluck dinner will
be at Veronica's home.  Please call her to make plans to attend and mention
to her what food or beverage you would like to bring to share with chapter
members.

Veronica Martinez, President, Bakersfield Chapter

P:  661.368.2931

The Pathfinder Chapter is pleased to announce our 8th annual Membership
Reception and Resource Fair.  This event will be held in conjunction with
the WLCAC Senior Center on Thursday, February 21, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
There will be vendors, companies providing information and resources,
chapter members demonstrating devices to help you become more independent,
skits on mobility and much, much more.  This event will take place at the
WLCAC Senior Center, Bradley Center at 10957 S. Central Ave., Los Angeles,
90059.  Food and door prizes will be provided.

Please contact:  Michael Richardson

323.898.3223

michaeljr66 at yahoo.com <mailto:michaeljr66 at yahoo.com>

Rochelle Houston, President, Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles

 First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of California

rhouston58 at gmail.com <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com>

323.807.0300

The San Fernando Valley Chapter is having their first fundraiser of the new
year at the Chipotle Restaurant at 16959 Devonshire St in Granada Hills on
Saturday, February 23rd from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.  Just mention you are
here to support the NFB of California and then place your order.  At 8:00
p.m. the Restaurant will add up all of the receipts and then donate back
30%of the sales to the NFB of California, it will go towards convention
grants for San Fernando Valley chapter members.

Robert Stigile, President San Fernando Valley Chapter

Second Vice-President National Federation of the Blind of California

818.381.9568

rstigile at gmail.com <mailto:rstigile at gmail.com>

Joy Stigile, Editor