[NFBC-Info] February Presidents Notebook

joystigile at gmail.com joystigile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 20:00:13 UTC 2020

Hello Family,

We are gearing up for our legislative push at the 2020 Washington Seminar.
Though many of you cannot join us in D.C., you can still play a critical
role in our national legislative success.  Please take five minutes to call
or email your elected officials and urge them to support the following
initiatives:

*
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/access-te
chnology-affordability> Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R.
2086/S. 815)
*
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/greater-a
ccess-independence-nonvisual-access-technology> Greater Access and
Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN) Act (H.R. 3929)
*
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/accessibl
e-instructional-materials-higher-education> Accessible Instructional
Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act (H.R. 5312/S. 3095)

You can easily find your official's phone number by calling (202) 224-3121
or checking the following website:
<https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative>
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative or
<https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm>
https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm.

Be sure to tell your representative that you and your fellow members support
the work of the National Federation of the Blind and that you want them to
co-sponsor the "S." and "H.R." bill numbers above.  These initiatives will
help us advance toward equal access to digital information in higher
education, home appliances, medical equipment and the affordability of
assistive technology.  Also think about ways that you might connect with the
local office for chapter activities.  We depend on strong relationships with
Congress throughout the entire year.

The arrival of the new year means that many chapters will be collecting dues
and updating membership lists.  Be sure to renew your membership at the next
chapter meeting and update your contact information.  Chapter and division
presidents will soon receive more information about the process of updating
our membership information through activities at our February and March
chapter and division meetings.

               I wish everyone a healthy and happy February as we continue
living the life we want to live.  Go 49ers!

Tim Elder, President, National Federation of the Blind of California

president at nfbcal.org <mailto:president at nfbcal.org>

916.382.0372

The Central Valley Chapter will be holding a health and fitness class on
Saturday, February 8, at 2:00 p.m.  Blake Searls, a local blind fitness
instructor, will be teaching exercises which can be done either in a gym or
at home, as well as discussing other ways to live a healthy lifestyle.  The
class will be held at Fitness Fanatics, 3540 Oakdale Rd, Suite B, Modesto.
Please contact Rachel Grider if you are interested in attending.

Rachel Grider, Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of California

President, Central Valley Chapter

209.602.1258

Happy Valentine's Day!

To show our community some love, the San Joaquin County Chapter is offering
the public a free braille transcription service for Valentine's Day cards on
a first come, first served basis.  Brailing services will be available
Saturday, February 8, 2020, from 12:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Mountain Mike's
Restaurant, 1000 W. Robinhood Dr., Stockton, directly following our February
chapter meeting .  Meeting is from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.  if you would
like to join them!

Joga Singh, President, San Joaquin County Chapter

Phone:  209.203.2106

E-mail: nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com <mailto:nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com>

The Riverside - San Bernardino chapter will be hosting their pre-Valentines
fundraiser.  At TGI Fridays at the Tyler Mall.  February 12, 2020 from 11
a.m. to 11 p.m., it's an all-day event!  The address is 3487 Tyler St.,
Riverside, CA 92503

For more information call Carmen 909. 486. 2004

Come and join them!

Carmen M. Weatherly, president, Riverside-San Bernardino Chapter

E: cweatherly101 at gmail.com <mailto:cweatherly101 at gmail.com>

The Pathfinder Chapter is pleased to announce their 9th annual Membership
Reception and Resource Fair.  This event will be held in conjunction with
the WLCAC Senior Center on Thursday, February 20, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 12:30
p.m.  There will be vendors, companies providing information and resources,
chapter members demonstrating devices to help you become more independent,
skits on mobility and much, much more.  This event will take place at the
WLCAC Senior Center, Bradley Center at 10957 S. Central Ave., Los Angeles,
90059 <x-apple-data-detectors://38> .  Food and door prizes will be
provided.

 Please  contact:  Michael Richardson, 323.898.3223 <tel:323.898.3223>  or

 <mailto:michaeljr66 at yahoo.com> michaeljr66 at yahoo.com

Rochelle Houston, First Vice President, National Federation of the Blind of
California

President, Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles

rhouston58 at gmail.com <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com>

323.807.0300

The Parents of Blind Children of California now has a Facebook  group.  They
encourage everyone that is a parent or guardian, educator, advocate or ally
of blind children to join.  The group is focused on providing relative
information, advocacy, education and support to parents, educators and
allies of blind youth with a focus on California.  The group is intended to
be a safe place where people can ask questions and provide support to one
another.  They all have experiences from which we can draw upon to help each
other navigate the often complicated   scenarios we encounter with our
children.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215060102852562

Jeanette Jones, President, Parents of Blind Children of California

C:  209.589.6058

blindwise.jj at gmail.com <mailto:blindwise.jj at gmail.com>

Joy Stigile, Editor

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nations blind. Every day we work