[NFBC-Info] Time-sensitive: Blind New Yorkers Achieve Access to Absentee Voting

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Fri Jun 5 17:00:22 UTC 2020

 		 [1]

BLIND NEW YORKERS ACHIEVE ACCESS TO ABSENTEE VOTING

_STATE AGREES TO IMPLEMENT INTERIM SYSTEM ALLOWING THE BLIND TO CAST
ABSENTEE AND MAIL-IN BALLOTS PRIVATELY AND INDEPENDENTLY FOR JUNE 23
ELECTION_

A federal district judge has approved an agreement requiring the New York
State Board of Elections (NYSBOE) to instruct local election boards to
provide accessible absentee ballots to blind voters for the June 23, 2020
primary election. The ruling resolves a request for a preliminary
injunction in a lawsuit [2] filed by the National Federation of the Blind
of New York and a coalition, including: Disability Rights New York;
American Council of the Blind--New York, Inc.; Center for Independence of
the Disabled, New York; Disability Rights Advocates; and several New York
voters with disabilities. Read the full official press release [3] on our
website.

Blind voters will be able to request an accessible electronic absentee
ballot through a page on the NYSBOE website [4] or through their local
county board of elections. They must do so by June 16, 2020. The National
Federation of the Blind of New York is also asking blind voters to provide
feedback on the accessible absentee voting process. They can complete a
survey by calling 716-222-3NFB (716-222-3632) or visiting www.nfbny.org
[5].

The court's order is the third in a recent string of successes for the
National Federation of the Blind to protect the rights of blind voters as
states shift to absentee and mail-in ballots because of the coronavirus
pandemic. Battles for accessible absentee voting in primary elections have
also been won in Michigan [6] and Pennsylvania [7].

"We are pleased that an agreement has been reached swiftly regarding the
June 23 primary," said Mike Robinson, president of the National Federation
of the Blind of New York. "We hope to work productively with NYSBOE to
identify a more permanent solution and that other jurisdictions across the
country will take note of our efforts in the empire state."

The lawsuit, which will continue in order to resolve the question of
accessible absentee and mail-in ballot solutions for elections later this
year, alleges violations of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The National
Federation of the Blind of New York is represented by Eve Hill [8] of Brown
Goldstein Levy LLP [9].

###

ABOUT THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org [10].

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
 Director of Public Relations
 National Federation of the Blind
 (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
 (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
 cdanielsen at nfb.org

 		 [11]
 		 [12]
 		 [13]
 		 [14]

 		 [15]

 		 National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | 410-659-9314

 		 Unsubscribe [16] | Opt Out [17] | Sign Up for Our E-newsletter [18]

 		 ..

Links:
------
[1] https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17233&qid=3746159